Applying to be a PCSO - Any hints on the application form.

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by BuggerAll, Dec 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I am filling in the application form to be a PCSO. Anybody who wants to see the whole form can look it up at: http://www.hampshire.police.uk/NR/rdonlyres/B4FD4C66-C0E8-4026-A5EA-08385163219B/0/pcso_appform.pdf

The bit I would appreciate some input on is Sect 2 Q1 and Q2:

Q1: It is essential that PCSO's deliver an excellent service to the public and get involved in solving thier problems.

Please recall a situation when you had to deal with someone who was unhappy with the service they had been given or was unhappy with the way they had been treated, and you helped them to resolve their problem. You will be assessed in this question on how you acted to try to resolve the problem and on how you delivered a full service to the person.

Briefly describe the situation, and tell us why the person was unhappy.

Tell us exactly what you did and said to try and sort out their problem.

When did you do these things?

If you had not acted as you did, what do you think the consequences for everyone involved would have been?

How did you know that the person was happy with what you had done for them?

Q2: It is vitally important that in their duties, PCSO's show respect for the lifestyles of other people.

Think of an example of a situation when you have shown respect for someone who has an important aspect of their lifestyle (for example, a deep-rooted moral or religious belief) that differed significantly from your own. You will be assessed in this question on your understanding of and sensitivity to the differences you and this particular person had, and on how you adapted what you did or said to suit their needs.

Tell us how the situation arose.

Tell us in detail what you did and what you said.

What did you learn about the other person from this experience?

How where you able to adapt what you did to suit the other person.

Now I'm pretty sure I can see what they're after but...

PS before anyone gets into a slanging match about PCSO's its not the way I would have organised 'community policing' if I was in charge, but for the PCSO's it a good interesting job and reasonably well paid - and I can transfer around the country when the other half gets posted.

2. what help do you need? The most important thing is to provide an example of how you have fulfilled their requirements eg shown respect for someone with a particular belief in Q2 - I would for example say how I let a member of staff go to a quiet room to pray during ramadam but that is in an office environment which you may not have been in.

3. Off topic but why PCSO and not full blown Rozzer?

Mrs M did the job for several years and found it very rewarding - can also transfer around etc within reason. You obviously have a feel for doing some good for the community etc so why not try full policing? Just a thought.

4. You tried getting in the Police lately??? Although having said that it may get easier if you're willing to be a scab.

5. ........

6. If you are ex forces don't even bother. The type of people they are looking for are all from the same mould as serving policemen and not from the service type. The questions they pose and the answers you give should be the same as for the type of people they employ at the moment. A bunch of wierdoes!. They do not want people with common sense or a sense of fairness, they prefer to employ people they can brainwash to thier way of thinking.

7. Q1: It is essential that PCSO's deliver an excellent service to the public and get involved in solving thier problems.

Please recall a situation when you had to deal with someone who was unhappy with the service they had been given or was unhappy with the way they had been treated, and you helped them to resolve their problem. You will be assessed in this question on how you acted to try to resolve the problem and on how you delivered a full service to the person.

Recently I was unable to satisfy my wife in bed. I believe this is a primary qualification for becoming a PCSO

I slapped her about a bit

she was a cheeky cow. My sister never complained

If you had not acted as you did, what do you think the consequences for everyone involved would have been?

she may have started complaining about other things.

she stopped complaining. Until the swelling went down.

It may hamper your application a bit, but by christ it would be funny to hear their response.

8. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Why not be a full blown rozzer? Shiftwork, paperwork etc life's too short.

9. Q1: It is essential that PCSO's deliver an excellent service to the public and get involved in solving thier problems.

JPA had fucked up their pay

I told them it was JPA's fault, not mine.

Last month.

they might have tried to contact JPA themselves, and that would be terrible.

The look on their face, of pure content..or was it contempt?

10. You might like to consider putting your ethnicity down as anything but white British...

Significantly ups your chances according to the things I have heard.

11. you may be on to something. How about "1/3rd Hohokam (prehistoric north american native) 1/3rd Yörük (nomadic kebab munchers) and 1/3rd Silesian ( a small obscure part of Czech Republic)". Under religion put Palo Mayombian. You could also try you are gay man trapped inside the body of a lesbian, trapped inside the body of a slightly different type of gay man trapped inside a hypothetically transgender manboy?

12. not true - my pal's son is ex-army and now a PCSO with the Met

13. There are exceptions then!

14. saying that he wants to leave and become a plumber now :roll: