Applying for signals but need advice

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Species, Jul 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I've just started the application process and infact I've not even done the BARB test (got it on monday), now when I went to the recruiting office the guy suggested I go for Information Systems Engineer, and after reading all the relevent information I'm really interested in. But after reading these forums for a bit many people are saying that alot of tech trades are overmanned, progess is difficult and you end up tidying up etc due to the surplus in people.

So basically should I be going for this, assuming that I get in of course I don't want to end up with very little to do.. well as far as the job as its been described to me that is. :?

At the momment I don't really understand the class system with techs so an explanation on that one would also be appreciated from phase 2 training onwards.

Also any advice on this trade or any others would be appreciated, please only serious responces as this is something which is concerning me and I don't want to make the wrong choice.

2. At the minute, Systems Engineers (who used to be known as Tele Techs) are overmanned at Class 2 (Corporal) level. I don't think IS Engrs have any problems. Whichever you choose, the problems should hopefully be ironed ut by the time you get to that level, so don't worry about it.
  3. Information Systems Engineer is not a tech trade at present. Something far from it and there is a lack of operators to fill all the posts so you shouldn't have a problem.

There was a problem to start with at Cpl rank in that it was quite hard to get promoted to Sgt as a lot of people who became IS Engrs when it first started re-capbadged from other Corps which basically filled all the SNCO slots as they weren't happy in their own Corps. It is slowly starting to improve now as things get back to normal and people coming through the system from scratch. Go for it if you are interested in computers.
  4. I don't know much about Tech's, but I do know about the sig's!
    I don't want to spoil it for you, but all I'm gonna say is "Cake and Arse!"
    I'm sure you'll find out all about it... ENJOY!
  5. Then why bother responding to this thread

Thanl you for your informative and intellegent input into the conversation. I'll have you know the signals is nowhere near as cake and arrse as people think it is.

We ran out of cake ages ago. :lol:
  6. wtf is cake and arrse?!
  7. Wrong I'm afraid. Sys Engr Tech, Info Sys Engr and Inst Tech are all part of the "Technician CEG" (career employment group) - see if you don't believe me.

The Sys Engr Tech trade is approx 400 overstrength at Corporal rank at the moment (a lot of whom were too thick to pass the T1 entrance test or couldn't be bothered to try). I believe that the Corps will be coming up with a plan on how to manage the surplus within the few weeks.

The IS Engr trade is currently about 60 understrength, mainly in Sig and LCpl ranks. Cpls and above are reasonably well stocked at the moment, although a whole bunch of Regiments have recently had their manpower figures adjusted so there's good prospects on the horizon.
  8. I'll go for Information Systems Engineer then, and hopefully things should work out fine assuming that all the surplus Sys Engr Techs don't get transferred to IS Engr :p

Thanks for the replies guys
  9. which office are you applying through? and do you have a Royal Signals recruiter looking after you?
  10. Re: Applying for signals but need advice
    Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:06 am

which office are you applying through? and do you have a Royal Signals recruiter looking after you?

Here Here fivetodo I got recruited in Dundee. Wanted to join the Airborne warriors, Engineers or Scots Guards never heard of Signals till I got there. Yes all the recruitment staff were Signals. Joined up as a Combat Lineman got paid a fiver (loaded) and 23 years later it was time to get out. Loved the Army and especially the 6 years at 1 Div Verden work hard play hard good times had by all. It is like everywhere places are shit but it's what you make of them.

Good luck Lineys forever

11. my advice is dont bother with the signals. to much crap to put up. go REME or Royal eng. o
    oh shouldn't have said that. some SNCO is gonna post an unhappy reply now
  12. Why should he go RE instead? Don't imagine that things are all that different on our side of the fence. Your Corps and mine are actually very similar in outlook and attitude which obviously means that if you don't like the RS lifestyle, you're hardly going to be a happy Sapper either.

If you don't mind an outsider saying so, some of the Sigs people on this board don't do your Corps any favours. Someone with little or no army experience could be forgiven for thinking that the Royal Signals are a bunch of whining tossers from reading this forum when in reality, for the most part, you're a good bunch of blokes and I would hazard a guess that most of the army would agree with me (regimental banter aside). Whatever it is that's causing some people such a sad-on, it can't be any worse than in other capbadges so why not either encourage people to join what is one of the most respected Corps in the army or hand your f ucking bedding in.
  13. well I would say the Corp did have its bullsh*t factor But I still enjoyed my time with it all 9 nine years. Some Units were crap (3 ADSR Soest) But some were spot on (1 Inf Bde) (215) etc. I don't doubt most other Corps had their crap Units.
  14. Make sure you let us all know how you get on - incase the buggers stick you in the 1st Blankshire Regiment to fill the vacancies in their own rubbish regiments.