Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Applying for Northern Ireland Civil Service appointments

D

Deleted 60082

Through CTP, several Northern Ireland Civil Service jobs have appeared. For various reasons I am keen to return back to the UK and was wondering if ex-serving members have any advice or experience of applying of jobs in Northern Ireland.

Apart form one or two short work trips over 25 years ago to Ulster, I haven't served there, but I am wondering about how a military background goes down in the NICS? Sensible responses, please.

Through CTP, several Northern Ireland Civil Service jobs have appeared. For various reasons I am keen to return back to the UK and was wondering if ex-serving members have any advice or experience of applying of jobs in Northern Ireland.

Apart form one or two short work trips over 25 years ago to Ulster, I haven't served there, but I am wondering about how a military background goes down in the NICS? Sensible responses, please.

There’s a lot of it about. You could go anywhere in the province. Acc to sources they’re keen on decentralising as the MLAs shift jobs to their areas. Eg dept of ag shifting jobs out of Belfast to Ballykelly.

Anybody’s past employment shouldn’t be public knowledge and it’s like everywhere else. Tell people what they need to know.
These days it’s a completely different ballgame. My sister used to come home and get lost in Belfast due to all the rebuilding and changes to the road network.
Good luck.

There’s a lot of it about. You could go anywhere in the province. Acc to sources they’re keen on decentralising as the MLAs shift jobs to their areas. Eg dept of ag shifting jobs out of Belfast to Ballykelly.

Anybody’s past employment shouldn’t be public knowledge and it’s like everywhere else. Tell people what they need to know.
These days it’s a completely different ballgame. My sister used to come home and get lost in Belfast due to all the rebuilding and changes to the road network.
Good luck.
Thanks. I will be very selective in the details of my previous employment

Thanks. I will be very selective in the details of my previous employment
Wise. Although you'd be surprised at the numbers of English-accented people in what would have been the unlikeliest places a couple of decades ago. There's a significant population of people from much further away, too.

I’ve lived in Belfast for the past five years, grew up near London so don’t have the accent but nobody’s bothered. I have a long Army background with more than half my career spent on Banner or resident tours. I love the place and the people make it for me. Plain spoken, friendly and a very healthy disregard for petty rules and shite.