Applying for a different role due to being under-qualified for another? (2 Questions)

Hi guys, so recently I've been looking at joining the military, whether its the Army, RAF, or Navy (Preferably the Army or RAF, I've never been much of a Navy guy)

I've just finished my 3rd year in full time education and have just one more year left however I'd much rather be working full time. There are a couple roles that appeal to me such as Dog Handling and Police work.

To join the RAF Police you require a GCSE Grade "C" in English, a "G" in Maths (Or Literacy & Numeracy equivalents), and a full UK drivers license.
I have a Level 1's in both my L&N, that's the equivalent to a "D" in GCSE, but I dont have a full UK drivers license. After speaking to an RAF recruiter I was told I'd have the possibility of being taken but not without a full license.

To join the RMP you require a C's in both Maths & English (Or the L&N equivalents) but you dont require a license.

One of the things that interest's me is Dog Handling, in the RAF, dog handling is a role within the police, but in the army is a completely separate role.

So my 2 questions would be.
  1. Could I still apply for the RMP or RAF Police despite being under qualified?
  2. If I cant, and was to be a Dog Handler first (As is requires no formal qualifications) How long would it be before I could transfer from Dog Handling to the RMP? (Years service after training, if required)

Thanks for advice you guys could give me.

Last edited:
Finish your education - only 1 year left to go and you will be grateful you did in years to come (and so will your parents).

Once completed, this will hopefully open more doors to you. If you still wish to pursue Police or Dog work then i would recommend the RAF. The RAF Police are a unique blend of law enforcement and deal with much more than crime:

Dogs, Close Protection, General Police Duties, Special Investigations, Counter Intelligence, Physical Security, Cyber Protection Teams to name a few - oh and Barrier Technician to the old and bold amongst us ;)

Army dog handlers are Royal Army Vetinary Corps (RAVC).
No RMP dog handlers any more (unless it has changed in the last year - and for those that know, I am aware of the one that 114 Pro Coy had for a while).
I know the Dog Handlers are a different role or corps, that was one of my questions.
If i was to join the Veterinary Corps as a Dog Handler, how many years after training would I have to commit to and what rank would I have to be in order to transfer to the RMP

Finish your education - only 1 year left to go and you will be grateful you did in years to come (and so will your parents).

Once completed, this will hopefully open more doors to you. If you still wish to pursue Police or Dog work then i would recommend the RAF. The RAF Police are a unique blend of law enforcement and deal with much more than crime:

Dogs, Close Protection, General Police Duties, Special Investigations, Counter Intelligence, Physical Security, Cyber Protection Teams to name a few - oh and Barrier Technician to the old and bold amongst us ;)
The course I study in college is IT (Information Technology) but the first year of the course, so this year, has been a complete joke, the college has messed the course about with not putting staff on for lessons etc. I dont want to do another year if I'm going to be messed around like I have been done this year.

But yes, I've always wanted to be part of the RAF, I was an air cadet for 2 years (Age 13 to 15) but I left before turning 16... Something I wish I hadn't of done looking back on it now.

Why would you join as a dog handler in order to transfer to RMP? Transferring isn't always easy and is never guaranteed. Far easier to resit your GCSEs if that's the problem.

DTBA

Old-Salt
Stick with the course. It might be poorly organised, but it'll at least occupy you whilst you go through the (lengthy) application process and will give you ample time to get your fitness up. Seeing something out to the end is usually worth it, too.

You've also got youth, and therefore time, on your side. If there's something you want to do (in HM Armed Forces or elsewhere), and you need certain qualifications on how to do it, research how to acquire those qualifications and get to it. You have more than enough time.

RAF Police never did much police work compared to the RMP were just know for having very gucci kit.....but rarely leaving the wire......The dogs were not really police dogs just patrol dogs...

I know the Dog Handlers are a different role or corps, that was one of my questions.
If i was to join the Veterinary Corps as a Dog Handler, how many years after training would I have to commit to and what rank would I have to be in order to transfer to the RMP

The course I study in college is IT (Information Technology) but the first year of the course, so this year, has been a complete joke, the college has messed the course about with not putting staff on for lessons etc. I dont want to do another year if I'm going to be messed around like I have been done this year.

But yes, I've always wanted to be part of the RAF, I was an air cadet for 2 years (Age 13 to 15) but I left before turning 16... Something I wish I hadn't of done looking back on it now.
It would appear you need to work on your commitment; there is a definite recurrence of behaviour here. Finish your course and good luck.

RAF mix 3 roles in the Army into one
RMP
RAVC dog handler
Intelligence Corps
Whether this is a good idea....some debate. This follows their use of the operator/maintainer in a number of tech style roles
Someone in the Intelligence Corps told me ....sometime ago it was very useful to mix the role of Policeman with Intelligence as it tied your hands too much....

RAF mix 3 roles in the Army into one
RMP
RAVC dog handler
Whether this is a good idea....some debate. This follows their use of the operator/maintainer in a number of tech style roles
Someone in the Intelligence Corps once told me load of crap.
FoC

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer

If i was to join the Veterinary Corps as a Dog Handler, how many years after training would I have to commit to and what rank would I have to be in order to transfer to the RMP.
Even to transfer you need to meet the same standards as a new applicant. So if you don't have the required educational grades then you can't transfer.

They said it might tie your hands re PACE interviews etc..I stand to be corrected
Don't see the relevance. But, like I said, concentrate on your course and see that through. Things like why you didn't stick with cadets, college etc will be brought up and will be accounted for in acceptance.

Don't see the relevance. But, like I said, concentrate on your course and see that through. Things like why you didn't stick with cadets, college etc will be brought up and will be accounted for in acceptance.
I left cadets due to over working, I was concentrating on 8 exams at school, 2 assignments at cadets, and then some other group I was part of, I ended dropping both groups due to my exams. Leaving is something I regret doing, especially looking back on it now but we all make mistakes I guess.

My only reason for leaving my final year of college would be because of how it's been this year. We had no teachers/staff for over 3 and half months (After the Christmas Hols) , meaning we were incapable of completing work and assignments, yet were still expected to have the work finished by the end of the year. Our course has 3 groups of 25 people, by the end of the year the course had only 19 people left including me, 61 people left (inc some A* students) because they were short staffed. I wouldn't say that I would be at fault if I was to leave, but I understand what your getting at.

I left cadets due to over working, I was concentrating on 8 exams at school, 2 assignments at cadets, and then some other group I was part of, I ended dropping both groups due to my exams. Leaving is something I regret doing, especially looking back on it now but we all make mistakes I guess.

My only reason for leaving my final year of college would be because of how it's been this year. We had no teachers/staff for over 3 and half months (After the Christmas Hols) , meaning we were incapable of completing work and assignments, yet were still expected to have the work finished by the end of the year. Our course has 3 groups of 25 people, by the end of the year the course had only 19 people left including me, 61 people left (inc some A* students) because they were short staffed. I wouldn't say that I would be at fault if I was to leave, but I understand what your getting at.
Context is everything. If this is, in fact, the case, fair enough, and woukd seem reasonable for leaving the cadets. I would still finish college though. Good luck in your endeavours.

Last edited:
No RMP dog handlers any more (unless it has changed in the last year - and for those that know, I am aware of the one that 114 Pro Coy had for a while).
Have they finally taught the GSDs to answer the 'phones?