Applying at 25

Hi I'm looking to apply for the army but I'm already 25 wish I had done it younger. Just wondering if people think I'm too old?

No. You're not. Some would even argue that there are advantages to joining the Army in your early to mid 20s, compared to joining at 18.
Good luck.

25 is not too old to apply to join the Army. You might even find that it helps to have a little seasoning. You might have some of the younger men calling you "Gramps" during Phase 1 but that's about all.

25 is not too old to apply to join the Army. You might even find that it helps to have a little seasoning. You might have some of the younger men calling you "Gramps" during Phase 1 but that's about all.
He will also probably be a similar age to his training staff.

Like you I wish I'd joined when I was at 18 but a few different paths meant I was 26 when I started training. Although you will be in the 'older' group there will be plenty of people around the same age as you. Don't waste anymore time though, get down to your AFCO and get started.

23 myself and am joining up, apparently there's plenty of older people joining up all the way up to the cutoff age. I'm 23 and am kind of worried about being a greybeard compared to all the younguns.

Only thing my age is making me slightly hesistant about is putting infantry as one of my job choices for if I don't get my first preference, just feel its a young guys graft, both physically and I guess mentally, and I've lost a good 5 or 6 years of my youth. Might be overthinking it and taking all the stories of knee blowouts, etc. too much to heart.

23 myself and am joining up, apparently there's plenty of older people joining up all the way up to the cutoff age. I'm 23 and am kind of worried about being a greybeard compared to all the younguns.

Only thing my age is making me slightly hesistant about is putting infantry as one of my job choices for if I don't get my first preference, just feel its a young guys graft, both physically and I guess mentally, but I might just be putting too much stock in all of the stories of people blowing out their knees and having to transfer. Better to just do what feels right and you can always complain in hindsight.
In no way are you to old for infantry training at 23.

In no way are you to old for infantry training at 23.
Yeah you're probably right, but I'm just thinking further down the line. 10 years in and I'll be 33, others with the same sentence will only be 27 or 28. I'm hoping to make a career of it (need to get in first) and looking at the long haul.

But like I said I'm probably just worrying about nothing and overthinking it, I should probably just try and focus on getting in first. (selection at the end of the month apparently, don't have a definitive date yet)

I'm 26 and doing the same. I like joining being slightly older than most recruits - I like to think I'll handle the stress better. My brain's matured, I've got some life experience, but I'm still young and fit to serve. I bet a lot of men break and drop out precisely because they're too young to handle this sort of life.

I'm currently an instructor at ITC Catterick.

Of the 30 odd gents in my Pl, 3 were over 24. As a rule they were more mature, stronger, mentally resilient and better equipped to deal with the course.

Being in the same age category as the training team has it's advantages. You will be left alone more and trusted to administrate yourself, provided you prove you're capable of doing so. The younger guys will look to you for advice in every aspect of life and you will likely feel respected and a vital part of the team.

Conversely, you may find yourself losing your patience with the 17 year old lads in your section and you will most likely not enjoy being treated like a child when it does happen.

My advice is that you get as fit as possible and be humble during your training. Everything else will be fine, perhaps even enjoyable.

As for being an older soldier, your main concern will be doing senior Brecon (a big **** about in Wales to qualify for sgt) when you're in your 30s. To be honest, it's probably worse for a human to be carrying infantry scales of equipment at 17 then it is 25, so your knees will probably still function. Just.

If you have any questions send me a PM. If not, get your paperwork in tomorow and I'll see you in the new year, ready for a 6 month thrashing!

Great insight, I never really thought about heavy loads at 17 being more damaging than at 25, makes a lot of sense though. (local gym near me doesn't even let you in if you're under 15 I believe)
The bones are not fully matured at age 17, which is why stress fractures are more common in the young 'uns. The instructors have to keep a watchful eye when they're drilling their charges. I've seen many a young lad back squadded for stress fractures by the MO.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I joined at 23. Promoted within three years because of my age and maturity.

Your going to do well with the late start.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I am in the same situation, I am 24 and looking to join the INT Corps or RMT (colourblindness permitting). Pretty daunting stuff!
The Rail, Maritime and Transport union?

I am in the same situation, I am 24 and looking to join the INT Corps or RMP (colourblindness permitting). Pretty daunting stuff!
Just about in an identical situation, trying to join as OPMI at 23 with colourblindness. Good luck to us I guess, expecting the worst and then I won't be disappointed.