Applying as an Officer

Discussion in 'Officers' started by ed2122, May 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear All,

I felt it would be beneficial to ask some questions to the people that actually know.
    I have been considering a career in the Army for a number of years, my reasons have developed over time. I am sure many join the Army with feelings of duty and in search of honour, my reasons are simple why should someone be fighting for my freedom without myself at their side.

I hope to join the Army as and Officer. I am a Durham University 3rd year student graduating this current year, 2010. I have completed the local interview process, and am now waiting for my date to sit the first of the two selection boards.
    During preliminary interviews I was informed about the criteria for physical conditioning. These are targets that I have already reach and was wondering if anyone could tell me ways to really stand out in the selection process?
    I also understand that Sandhurst is a demanding test of one's Mental, Emotional and Physical resistance. However if anyone could give me a more conclusive run down of the requirements and tests we will be put through?

Any help on these matters will be greatly appreciated

Thank you.

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Try learning to spell Officer correctly first...... 8O

Plenty of info within this forum for you to churn through. I'd suggest you start having a read through that.

3. Thanks for your reply, will continue to trawl through the forums. Have now corrected the spelling I apologise was typing fast.

4. ed, check your PMs

5. I doubt that there's much that can be said that hasn't been mentioned before. My only advice would be to start speaking to prospective regiments ASAP, and to contact them directly, where possible, rather than going through your ACA(O).

6. It's interesting you say that jew_unit. When I was waiting for regiments to get back to me I asked my ACA if I could just get in touch myself and was told, in no uncertain terms, that to do so would be poor form. That said, I've heard of plenty who have done so with apparently no dramas. Generally speaking, from my experience going through the prescribed route (i.e. ACA) has been perfectly adequate for getting in touch with the regiments I'm interested in.

7. I´m not sure really what you are looking for in this post. You seem to have gone through the procedure successfully so far and acheived an acceptable level of fitness. What worries me is your desire to "stand out" at selection. Standing out can be good and it can be bad. It could get you noticed as a DS-watching wonker leading to a fail, or it could set you up as a golden boy who will have to live up to the inflated expectations that he has created. A better approach is just to do what you are required to do and above all, demonstrate that you are a team player. Once you get to Sandhurst, do the same. If you are really any good, you will stand out - there are no special tips to help you acheive this.

8. Fair enough. I know a lot of people who've had to wait ages to contact regiments. I don't have much choice as I don't have an ACA, but the RHQs of all the regiments that I've contacted have been more than happy to help out and with no obvious cost to my application.

I agree with Jorrocks about 'standing out'. The group discussion is a great example of where you don't want to stand out too much.

9. Guys, all tis talk about touching yourself and standing out, is (whilst obviously exciting) pretty unofficer like!!

10. :?

11. That was a little strained wasn't it? Slow day at the office? :D

12. I would never use The Firms equipment!

13. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

What college?

14. I've been through the selection process and am in process of choosing regiments now before I turn up. From my experience, the regiment will prefer to speak to you direct - or use the recruiting officer for that particular arm (eg infantry,RAC etc).

When I have tried contacting my ACA, I rarely get a response. If you want to save time then deal direct.

As for the testing.... AOSB and briefing, just be yourself and think carefully before doing things (remember you are always being watched).

There are command tasks - both leader-led and leaderless, a planning exercise, fitness tests, discussions, aptitude tests etc. obviously, no 'answers' as such can be given as to how best to complete each task as that takes the point of testing away - just be prepared to be grilled, even when you give the right answer. They just want to see how you react to pressure in most cases!