Applying as an officer after cancelling soldier application

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by apotentialofficer, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi arrse bandits

First time posting, the reason for this being that I need the educated opinion of those in the know.

I am currently in the process of applying for the army as a soldier, having just completed my BARB test (68 /images/smilies/icon_headbang.gif) and I have come to the conclusion that I should instead be applying for an officer position. I have all the necessary qualifications but would like to first complete a degree so I can enjoy all the benefits that a degree brings to an commissioned officer (pay increase, promotion etc.)

The question is - would cancelling my application for a soldier in the british army now affect the chances of becoming an officer in 3/4 years time?

Any advice offered is really appreciated.
  2. Try the RAF chum. They need positive, well focused throbbers like you.
  3. Clearly i'm looking for the opinions of arrse users rather than that of the sgt.

otherwise why would I be posting here?

Try to keep up drivers
  4. Focused, FOCUSED!! That is probably THE most misspelled word in staff work!
    Aaaaaand relax!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Based on the evidence of your posts, I'd stay exactly where you are if I were you.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Well you appear to have the conceit of a troopy, so crack on throbber.
  7. Opinions you will have, and they will be plentiful however do not expect them to be helpful with an attitude like that.

If one had taken the time to peruse arrse, then one would understand the typical reply that would be posted.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail young man.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Well this has a been a big fat waste of time.

Cheerio old boys, may your enemies suffer the wrath of a thousand cleveland steamers.
  9. Most people on Arrse who have served (and are appearing to be in the minority) would probably have worked marching up and down and shooting things, jumping out of aircraft, counting blankets in a stores, sending signals back, fixing or driving vehicles or one of many such tasks. Very few of them will be experts in changing your mind about joining up which is why those nice people at the AFCO were recommended because, believe it or not, Sgt or above, they actually work at advising people on things like that. Much better to go to the horses mouth instead of the horses arrse!
    Anyway, your points on getting benefits with a degree like promotion, pay etc have sprouted wings and flown out of the window. Of course, if you'd asked at the AFCO you would already have been told that.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Apologies. Corrected. Misspelt or misspelled?
  11. Exbleep is absolutely correct (never thought I'd say that about a scaley!). The AFCO may only be a Sgt but he is the subject matter expert. You wouldn't necessarily need to "cancel" anything - the AFCO can flip your aplication on the system and begin moving you down the Offr stream from the beginning but your details will be kept.

Before you go to see him have a thought about what you might want to be during Uni (Sponsored, OTC, TA etc) as they will expect something out of you during uni.

PM me if you want to discuss it as you will only collect more abuse from the huge amount of unhelpful posters.
  12. Before anyone gets excited "only a Sgt" was sarcasm.
  13. I think you'll find that the most misspelt word is lose, for some reason people cannot differentiate between loose and lose.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. In "Last 50", this thread is truncated as "Applying as an officer after cancelling soldier" and I'm thinking, "Good decision. Crap mag"..

(Edit) Strange.... I'm getting "application" as well now. Apply as an officer after cancelling this post.
  15. I always thought it was accommodation, oh, and Sergeant (which the OP has conveniently abbreviated (and missed out the capital)).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.