Applying as a Solider or Officer?

Hi! I'm currently at University, however I'm thinking of joining the army, yet I'm confused as to whether or not what route to take. I currently have the required UCAS points to apply as an officer but I also want the experience of being a regular solider. What I'm wondering is, can I move up from a regular solider to officer since I already have the required UCAS points from my A-Levels? Also, is it better to join with a degree as an officer rather than just good GCSE's and decent A-Level's?

Thank you in advance for anyone who replies! :)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think Solider would be appropriate as your spelling isn't good enough to be an Officer!
(PS, it's SOLDIER)

Last edited:
Hi! I'm currently at University, however I'm thinking of joining the army, yet I'm confused as to whether or not what route to take. I currently have the required UCAS points to apply as an officer but I also want the experience of being a regular solider. What I'm wondering is, can I move up from a regular solider to officer since I already have the required UCAS points from my A-Levels? Also, is it better to join with a degree as an officer rather than just good GCSE's and decent A-Level's?

Thank you in advance for anyone who replies! :)
It's quite a bit more subjective than one might think, and is pretty much dependent on three things:

1. Your personality. Are you the type that wants to lead, and has the innate personality to rise to the leadership of a group of otherwise-equals? If that is not an unequivocal "yes", then you will either not make the grade, or have a mediocre career at best as an officer. Dull officers make major, and then are ceilinged for the rest of their careers. Not very attractive when you're 40+ and realize you're in a dead-end career as a pension slave.
2. How long do you want/are prepared to spend in the Army? If it's 3-5 years, go officer. If it's 10-or so years, go soldier with a technical bent. If it's 15+, go officer. If you go soldier, get the life skills the Army give you, go out blazing as a SNCO, and reap the rewards. Provided you join a Corps with technical avenues in civvy street.
3. What do you foresee yourself doing after the Army? If it's earning a shitload of money, either go officer and leave at 5 years, or go soldier and leave after 10. Much beyond that, you're a lifer and condemned to public salaries. 5-yr SSC officers either make it big, or end up selling double glazing with the 22 year WO2s.

You have to work out what you want in life. If you go officer, you will find yourself at RMAS saying to yourself "WTF am I doing?" at some point when the CSgt is reaming you for some minor indiscretion.

On the other hand, if you go soldier and had the ability to go officer, you will also find yourself thinking "WTF am I doing" when doing menial tasks as a junior soldier.

Overriding point is that it is not a Qual X = Career Y type gig. Much more complex.

Lots of threads on this topic and its a minefield to navigate. The officer recruitment process appears to be going back to the 'we need charactor not necessarily a degree'. I know lots of current graduates that coudn't command the respect of a tea bag let alone a Troop or Platoon.
My advice for what its worth is go for Officer selection and save the drama of trying to haul yourself up via OC and COs recommendations. If you don't make it - then the soldier route is open and you can try again from the ranks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Royal Signals 18
2_Canadian_Beers Gunners 0
S RLC 18