Applying as a reserve soldier but off to uni soon....

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone could help me as I can't find answers anywhere. I'm currently applying as a reserve soldier, I'm 18, I'm hoping to do phase one alpha and bravo after my exams in summer or, if I can, do the Midlands challenge. After that I'm hoping to apply as a reserve officer and was told that I'd be able to do most my modules with the UOTC at the uni I'm aiming to go to while still being able to do some training with my reserve unit. Does anyone know anyone who has done this, or if its possible? The CSM I'm talking to seems to think it can as does the SSI of my CCF contingent but I'm not able to contact them at the moment. Can anyone help?

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone could help me as I can't find answers anywhere. I'm currently applying as a reserve soldier, I'm 18, I'm hoping to do phase one alpha and bravo after my exams in summer or, if I can, do the Midlands challenge. After that I'm hoping to apply as a reserve officer and was told that I'd be able to do most my modules with the UOTC at the uni I'm aiming to go to while still being able to do some training with my reserve unit. Does anyone know anyone who has done this, or if its possible? The CSM I'm talking to seems to think it can as does the SSI of my CCF contingent but I'm not able to contact them at the moment. Can anyone help?
Have a look here. http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/th...versity-that-i-joined-up.251355/#post-7026550

Hi,
Thank you, I saw that thread while looking through before posting, it helped with making my choice to try the path that I am. I was more wondering if anyone had any information on if this was indeed possible or knew someone who had done this recently, more to put my mind to rest really.

Hi,
Tell them "if I tell you, I'll have to kill you".

Unless I'm wrong, UOTC and AR are still 2 different things, you simply join one? I would think you cannot be a member of both a) it would be pointless and b) you wouldn't have time anyway (minimum commitments of AR is one weekend per month and an evening a week).

Army Reserve have a larger annual bounty anyway, the training is progressive, deployments can be differed based on your education status and I also wouldn't go consulting with civilian SSI's of the Combined Cadet Force, they may not be up to date and rules and regulations change all the time.

Hi,
The way it was explained to me was that a lot of the reserve officer training is now being done through the UOTC's, so applying after completing phase one I'd be then attached to the UOTC to earn my commission whilst still being able to courses and training with the reserves that you cannot with the UOTC. It sounded like this way UOTC MTD's would count as both training commitments with a few more with the reserves when I can, although he didn't explicitly say this. Something about the reorganisation of both the reserves and UOTC? As for the SSI he's only been out of regular service four years and he keeps up with changes as best he can to inform those of us considering the army.

My advice is join the ARes unit and complete Midland Challenge and your Phase 2 training prior to starting university. If you want to commission whilst at university, apply through the ARes unit.

Why - you'll qualify for the full financial incentive for completing ARes phase 1 and 2 training, you'll qualify for your full bounty every year and as a Phase 2 trained soldier, you will be able to train for your commission (mostly through the UOTC) AND train with your ARes unit.

Going to university and joining the UOTC is a different offer. You won't get the financial incentives and the days of being in the UOTC and 'freelancing' with your local TA / ARes unit are over. No problem if the UOTC offer suits you, but if you want something different then it won't suit you. Be aware that UOTC training prior to commissioning is largely non-transferable. If you join the UOTC and decide to transfer to the ARes, you will have to complete Phase 1 and 2 training.

Alternatives? Enquire about Lead First or the ARes Commissioning Course Plus, both of which give you the full 0-hero commissioning training in one joined up programme.

Thank you, I'll look into lead first and Ares commissioning course, I'm planning on doing phase one and two over summer if possible (trying to find out out about midlands challenge but not finding much). You say that training for my commission would be mostly through the UOTC which is the way I was hoping to train for it, do you have anymore details on that process or know where I could find some?
Many thanks.