Applied for Adult Instructor

Hi All new to the site.

I'm sure that something like this has been posted before but Im looking for a more updated answer.

I have just recently applied to be an AI and have my interview on the 27th November and I'm looking to find out what the process is and selection weekend?

I can see on other posts all the banter that goes on so some info about me,

I'm 42 and currently a Security Supervisor at a University.
No I have'nt served, did try but failed on a damaged knee from playing rugby.
Did attend cadets when I was 15 till 17.

Reason for wanting to join..
My son has been a cadet for the last 18 months and the change I have seen in him as a person is great and it was him who has talked me into it. I hope I can help bring changes and motivation to other cadets.
My current job has a good roster, 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off with 6 sets of 12 of a year plus 6 weeks holiday so I have plenty of free time to offer.
Experience with young adults as in students.
I have management skills so hopefully I will be use this to help cadets, and hopefully gain some new skills.
Unfortunately I fall into the braket of 'a bit out of shape' but I am hoping that this will get me a bit more motivated, lead by example and all that.

So any advice would be appreciated

Troy

LE
The first piece of sound advice is for you to go over to : http://armycadetforce.com/forum.php and join up there. You'll find that you get more sensible cadet-related answers than you will here. Keep coming back here too, and you'll get to see what I mean for yourself. :)

Thanks Troy.

I joined that forum last night after seeing this post and for some reason i have'nt received an email to activate my account.

So if there is any advice going here it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

You are pretty much in the same mould as me. I joined at 39 with a similar shift job as you, after years of prevarication. I so now wished I'd joined earlier.

Whatever happens, don't get put off too early. The ACF is it's own worst enemy when it comes to staff recruitment. So many will give you the impression that they don't want you, but actually, they need you more than they know. As long as your detachment staff and your Coy Cdr are in favour of you going forward get on with it, and ignore any c unt that tells you otherwise.

Sadly, initial training and selection is still in county hands. While it remains so, the fuckwits and bellthronks will select their own and exclude anyone who might upset the apple cart, regardless of their suitability. I have seen people failed by this system who who actually worked with severely disturbed teenagers and had a record of positive outcomes be rejected as unsuitable by my county staff selection team. ie: better qualified people than me!

I have said t before, and I will say it again until someone takes notice. The ACF needs a national recruitment team for adult staff and a national training centre for adult staff. That means Frimley needs expanding.

I am a Detachment Commander. Its an infuriating job, but I enjoy it immensely. I have 8 years service and am now an SSI. It gets better the more time you put in. For the first 4 years I could have quit easy. But making me DC hooked me into it.

Many thanks for the reply Mothman.

I work within a University environment so I'm use to things moving slowly, I have been reading snippets from different sources and find myself wanting to join even more. I met with the local DC last week where my son is a cadet and he was very encouraging and answered the questions I put forward.

One concern I do have is the interview, is it formal or informal? no matter what I will be booted and suited (as thats how I am, self presentation and all) but unsure of what to expect. I have photo copied my ID and relevent certificates for them to hopefully speed things up.

If successful at the interview do you have a rough idea of how long before I can start participating..

Many Thanks

One concern I do have is the interview, is it formal or informal?

Many Thanks

The armed forces is still quite a formal institution. The best advice is that bullshit baffles brains, therefore if you go in with a dark suit, well polished dark shoes, plain shirt and tie and look the part of someone who will be a decent role model to teenagers and has personal standards, then that first impression will count for a lot.

The armed forces is still quite a formal institution. The best advice is that bullshit baffles brains, therefore if you go in with a dark suit, well polished dark shoes, plain shirt and tie and look the part of someone who will be a decent role model to teenagers and has personal standards, then that first impression will count for a lot.

Thanks Woopert, Dark suit check, well polished shoes check, plain shirt and tie check I have personal standards just hope i look the part of a role model lol.

The interview is on Thursday so I will post an update after that, hopefully it will be good news.

So interview went well, filled all the forms in and now it's just a case of waiting. Have been told that the next FAM course is in March so it's a case of doing that then it's PI status hopefully.

Latest Threads