Application withdrawn after operation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I’m a first time poster after lurking on this site for tips and advice, and thought I’d ask here given Army recruitment are being a bit unclear.

I’ve been training all year to get back into shape (losing a few stone in the process) and, having looked into it around March time, thought joining the Reserves would be a good way to keep fit and do new things in my spare time.

With my life story out of the way, having jumped through all the hoops I had an AC booked in for this week. To my extreme annoyance and inconvenience, my side started flaring up about a month ago and I was very quickly pulled into surgery to have my appendix removed. Whilst it is routine surgery (under general anaesthetic), it’s put me out for a number of weeks, and I had to cancel and rearrange my AC.

When looking to book a new AC in the new year (after originally being told this wouldn’t be a problem) my CSM has told me that my application has been withdrawn due to my operation and I can’t apply for another 12 months (and would have to start again). I can’t find any guidance about this online, but this strikes me as rather odd and for me personally has been really disappointing, especially considering I’m basically back on my feet already.

Is this standard protocol? Do you know where I can find out more about my deferral? I no longer have the contact details of my CSM as I’ve lost access to the portal. I’d really appreciate your help.

Ta

I can only offer you encouragement. The deferment is probably a standard thing for abdominal surgery to allow your body to heal ahead of arduous training. I had my appendix out just after I finished basic and it's a major thing to recover from. You should still be able to enquire from the recruiting organisation what the policy via the general enquiry facility. You sound like you have done a lot of hard work and that will help you recover but don't overdo it. Maybe seek advice from your doctor and gym staff if you use a gym. The Reserves (or Regulars) will still be there in a year's time when you will have recovered. Best of luck.

I can only offer you encouragement. The deferment is probably a standard thing for abdominal surgery to allow your body to heal ahead of arduous training. I had my appendix out just after I finished basic and it's a major thing to recover from. You should still be able to enquire from the recruiting organisation what the policy via the general enquiry facility. You sound like you have done a lot of hard work and that will help you recover but don't overdo it. Maybe seek advice from your doctor and gym staff if you use a gym. The Reserves (or Regulars) will still be there in a year's time when you will have recovered. Best of luck.
12 months sounds really excessive though. I recall being back to normal after a couple of months. Great way to keep recruiting numbers down.

Appeal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads