Application refused before application actually submitted. Transgender

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Naleen, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I have tried applying to a few roles in the MOD one of which was RAF ABM. Upon application and declaring I was transgendered and wanted to know if I was eligible, I was then told to provide contact details so they can look up the information. The information I received was that I was unable to join the armed forces due to being on treatment from charring cross and I would need to complete this treatment before applying.
    As we all know this treatment will never end, I will always need to take hormones. Even if treatment did impossibly end I would be graded P2 and that they would most likely never accept me anyway due to being graded P2.

I believe the information given to me that I cannot apply because I am on HRT to be wrong. As far as I am aware there was a law passed in 2010 that allowed transgendered people to apply for the armed forces. And now I am told by recruitment that I cannot join because I am on HRT.

I have read [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]POLICYFOR THE [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]RECRUITMENTAND[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]MANAGEMENT OF[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]TRANSSEXUAL PERSONNEL IN THE ARMED FORCES[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]which states on Para 37 that transgender people can join. And to be graded as mentioned under JSP 346.
    Link Below.

[/FONT]http://www.gires.org.uk/assets/Consultations/MOD-policy.doc

I never got to personally see a medical examiner, all I saw was a recruitment officer for RAF. No other contact and no forms filled in.

Can anyone provide any light on to what is going on?

2. as far as i know, you are not barred from applying, however the medication you are on seems like the problem you are having.

Good luck anyway, any pictures???? for curosity puposes obviously!!!

3. Catch 22 your free to apply but if you take any regular medication your barred.
    Which sucks.
    Especially as lack of said medication in an emergancy wouldnt effect the ability to do your job. Which is what matters.

4. Are the meds taken for vanity or for medical health?

5. .
    Can I ask a serious question? With what you're going through/been through, what makes you want to join the Army? And next question, Boy to Girl or Girl to Boy?

I'm genuinely interested.

6. Go over his head, if you're entitled to apply then fight it.... Are you female > male or male > female [I won't mind if you tell me to mind my own business]?

7. If he could go over his head he's obviously pre-op.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I am Boy to Girl, I have come across discrimination from every aspect of my life, and I have shown leadership, resilience and mentor skills to other youth who are in a similar position. Many Youth workers have felt I would be a good role model for many children who are also transgendered. Some have often asked why don't I become a youth worker.
    I don't see myself being happy as a youth worker.

I would like to join as I have a degree in Computing where I feel that it would be useful in the MOD and I would like to be a person that other transgender people can look to for success even in the harshest environments, as well as obtain the resilience and confidence I need.

I do enjoy being around many different types of people and meeting new faces, which I do not get to do in my current line of work.

I don't look that much feminine or very attractive as a female however I do feel strongly about my gender and I need to live my life as a female or not at all. Before anyone starts to ask questions about this need, I would gladly accept all the issues, worries, medical confrontation and discrimination that any female has to just be a normal female.
    There has been multiple cases of breast cancer in my family, nonetheless I am still going through with my HRT.

9. All I would say is that no matter how 'normal' you are in the service you need a thick skin. It's de riguer,and if you haven't got one or learn to develop one quickly, no matter who you are, it will not work out well for you. The services are renouned for a certain robustness ~ you will need to fit into that, they won't fit in around you, people can die of 'piss take' you know lol......

10. The medication is standard Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) that are for medical reasons. I will be taking the medication for the rest of my life as do all Trans-Men/Women do.

I can provide to any medical examiner all the notes from the issuer of the medication stating dosage, and time frames as well as background information. None of this was provided during the application process.

11. I just been told by the recruitment centre no I cannot join because I am on HRT and I cannot apply until I have come off it.
    I know this will never happen, and I know there is a mistake somewhere within the recruitment process.
    So if this is not part of having a thick skin I don't know what is.

12. No pun intended however you have bigger balls than I- that is a compliment! Fascinating post and makes a change from the usual 'I have motor-neurone desease can I join the paras....' shit.

By your post style you seem pretty genuine and I really do hope you find success. Thick skin, as previous poster observed really is required however to have done what you have done I think you already have that. Go for it, go for it in the same way you have obviously gone for such life-changing other things and I don't think you'll go too far wrong!

Good luck lady! Pics etc etc etc!!

13. I am trying to fight it, although if I win, I have no idea if I will pass the fitness, at least I may have made it easier for others like myself.

14. Well one step at a time, can't try unless you get a go eh......Good luck let us know

15. Thank you,
    As for pics, I don't like my own body as it is, my graduation photographs I haven't even looked at. Chop my head off the photograph then I may look at them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.