Application Process And Training

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Locky, Jun 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. well started application process i am wondering what does the entrenec fitness (scotland ?) consist of, i know the 1.5 mile run and the 20kg jerry cans, my upper body strength is very good but my stamina is crap, what is the best way to increase this so i can complete the run successfully ? i am hopeing for a combat engineer (unless i am offered something that appeals more when i do the barb test) any other adive / suggestions bout the application progress and/or training for the run will be appreciated a lot

2. Dont try too much too soon! Run regularly at a steady pace, then increase the distance and speed at your own discression; also try fartlek training, sprint for 30 seconds then jog for a minute, then repeat - just a few examples ive used, but dont neglect your upper body while doing so!

Hope I've helped a bit
    Sj

3. i always do uppder body (10kg dumbells) but normaly 5 sets of 20 reps on shoulders / arms) just started doing more pressups and situps now, i did roughly 1.5 mile today and yesterday now my legs (like the back of my shin) is fkin murdering realy painful, would swimming help for stamina (obviously aerobic) ?

btw i will give that fartlek a go thanks for that 1

4. Alright Locky. I'm going in the Engineers as a combat engineer (armoured engineer) and I start my basic on 10th Sept. My best advice would be variety in your training, because if your doing the same thing everyday you'll end up with no improvement. Build up gradually until you can maintain a 7 minute mile for about 5 miles then you'll urinate all over the 1.5 miles. If you can bleep tests are good as well and work on pressups, situps and pullups. But don'go mad on weights.

5. i just do the weights for my arms and shoulders so i can do pullups (altho i mite get 1 them bars for the door ?) i should be aiming for 1 mile in 7 minutes ? i am gna b doin 1.5 mile a day 4 or 5 days a week, how long will it take me to get the 1.5 mile pissed on ?

6. Pullup bars are pretty good. Unless your really tall and lanky. Under arm grasp and aim for about 10 to start with and if u can try and do 15-20 on selection and you'll be laughing. I depends how fit u are already and also how old you are. 7 minute mile thats only 10:30 mins for your mile and half which is about average but it wot get u in the paras though. Try doing 3-5 miles 5 times a week and aim to do a 7 minute mile or less. If you go on selection in 2-3 months you'll be of a fairly good fitness level. Wot u hoping to go in?

7. combat engineer, i am 5'8 and 65kg, i will get a chinup bar asap the running kills me atm i have jus stoppd because the back of my legs are killing me, will swimming also be good for cardio (helping to train for the run ?)

8. Swimmings good because it works major muscle groups but doesn't put any stress on your joints. but running gives you a better cardio work out and will be more important to work on ready for your training. u just need to crack on with the running build it up gradually. u wanna make things as easy as you can for yourself on selection and in your training. as they say 'NO PAIN NO GAIN'. if your doing a good cardio session 5 times a week you can substitute 1-2 of those sessions for swimming. but don't neglect your running otherwise you'll end up sufferring more in your training and on selection. u going in as junior or adult entry?

9. adult, i turned 18 a few months ago have the barb test wednesday see what i get offered when i done the test well ima start swimming 2 or 3 times a week and try to run every other day, gna run till i puke lol, i mite even get going to the gym

10. If the careers office get you application through quickly you might start your basic at the same time as me (10th Sept) if you still wanna go in the engineers that is. Good determination mate.

11. what are you going for ? u going in as adult as well ? have u done the selection then ?

12. Im going in the Royal Engineers as an Armoured Engineer. Yeah but I'll only just be old enough because im not 17 until next month. Yeah went on selection to Pirbright on th 24/25 January. But iv had to wait ages because i wasn't old enough to in as adult entry until August. Av u got a date for yours yet?

13. no date barb tested wednesday then i will have the 2 interviews then upto scotland then see what happens from there

14. Well mate best of luck with that, and I might end up bumping into you at ATR Lichfield then!

15. we will see :)

good news is my mate (from school he a amateur body builder now) has wrote me up a training programme that i intend to follow so i should be fit as fook in 12 - 16 weeks :D