Application of RoE

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by OldRedCap, Mar 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Comment on RoE by General Petraeus plus lots of other interesting comment by a man who certainly has a new approach.

2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Sounds encouraging, but as the man says, still very early days. Hope it continues to go well...

3. Was he referring to US forces or all forces in Iraq?

4. Oracle - the General says "“I’ve made two things clear,” Petraeus emphasized: “My ROE may not be modified with supplemental guidance lower down. And I’ve written a letter to all Coalition forces saying ‘your chain-of-command will stay with you.’ I think that solved the issue.” I suppose we come under coalition forces. However, I'm sure we would have heard if our RoE were being drawn up by Americans - or would this be an OPSEC Matter. Without knowing the full details it is not realistic to comment but my observation would be that they have a higher level of tolerance than we do but if an American serviceman cocks up and goes for trial, he gets it pretty stiff.

5. And I’ve written a letter to all Coalition forces saying ‘your chain-of-command will stay with you.’ Unless the sh1t gets a bit think and then your on your own lads, I've a pension to think about.

Hang 'em high.

6. Mmm. I'm not convinced.

7. No OPSEC here - RoE are a strictly National issue.

8. Was that the same chain of command that stood by Tpr Williams, Col Collins, Col Mendonca......

9. I've only recently discovered YouTube. I'm still slightly amazed at what you can find...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjbrD4WBZf8

I think its the appearance of some of their own walking down the road they've just been firing along that I found most worrying.

10. It can't be easy shooting accurately with a couple of hundred New Labour luvvies hanging onto the barrel of your weapon.

SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy).