Application Help

Discussion in 'REME' started by pieface, Jan 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

I'm currently going though the App process, just waiting for my second medical form to get back from the Dr. (the first having been 'lost in the post').

I would like to pick your collective brains with an issue I'm having.

I'm applying for Avionics Tech, I don’t have my GCSE English (B's in Maths & Science), but a BTEC ND in Electrical and Electronic Eng with additional first year HND Maths.

The guys at the careers office have said, that not having my English, I am unlikely to get in doing Avionics. The job description on the Armies and REME's website says "GCSE grade C or better in maths, English Language and a science or BTEC National Certificate in Electrical / Electronic Engineering" (The ND is the fun time version of the NC).

I'm just wondering if any of you know if I would be able to apply for that job or look for something that I don’t need my English for.

Thanks in advance.
  2. I don't think you will have any problem. Lots of people start life in the REME with no GCSE passes, however they do have trade experience. You just need to convince them that you will pass the avionics course, and if what you said is true you should have no problem.
  3. Careers Office staff are told which trade groups/corps/regiments are most in need of new manpower so will tend to try guiding you in a direction of their choice rather than yours (ie good for the army but nothing even resembling what you wanted to do)! Stick to your guns and don't let them sway your decision by convincing you that your lack of GCSE English will condemn you forever. As long as you scored high enough on the BART test (or whatever it's called) then there should be no problems with you joining as an avionics tech, especially with the trade qualification you already have to back up your case.
  4. As AlphaMech stated as long as you scored high enough in your 'entrance' exams at the career office you should not have any problems. I know people with no O Levels in English that have had a full career, mind you they did join a while ago. Tell them that that is what you want and explain the Diploma situation.
  5. Stick to your guns, don't be swayed with the recruiters facts and figures until you have seen it in print.

Best of luck.
  6. Thank you

Thats helped alot

Just wish my Dr. would get off his arrse and do my medical form now.
  7. I remember them!!! :thumleft: Ahh the good old days........... :highfive:

Reminiscence OFF
  8. alb

alb Clanker

Have you done any communications modules on your course? If you have, these may be accepted instead of English. I joined with a partially completed ONC in electronics, no maths or science and a C grade in English. Having GCSE maths may help however a few on my Tech course struggled even with this qualification. If you can prove your course has gave you the grounding required you will probably get accepted. Prior to Tech training at Arborfield I am sure you have to do pass foundation modules to be loaded on a course. If you pass these you will start training and if not you may have to re-trade another trade.
  9. i found my cse gardening helped me at selection! :numberone:
  10. When you sit the B.A.R.B. test ensure you just RTFQ! its the downfall of alot of people, reading the question properly will tell you exactly what they want from you, as the BARB is designed to attack the subconcious also making you write or do the "other" option making you look like a total spanner. Id say the Doc needs a kick up the Arrse as my mate has also had her FMED lost in mail and is bein proper fuct aboot by the MOD. Alb has it nipped, once you get to Arborfield you will do phase tests in the foundation section to assess your ability, if ya dont make the grade for Air /Avi tech ya will more than likely jus get slipped into the Lands Systems role. Point out you got an ND in those subjects and stress this fact, Bordon fuct me over with my quals! Oh and if ya gotta CSE in Gardening like our Jib's, it prob helps having a nice rack of melons in the potting shed to show!!! hope this helped? Out to you....
  11. Finaly got my medical form just short of a month after handing it to the Dr. Just got a letter form Army Development and Selection Centre defering me for three months, for a knee problem I had since I was 15 and got rid of acouple of years ago.

I have to do a three month training program to simulate the type of stuff I'll find in basic and keep a diary.

Its surprising how much one letter can realy knock the motivation out of you.

I was so hoping to be in basic, if not finishing it in three months not still in the same postion I am now.

Thanks for all your comments on my question.