Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Appledore Shipyard re-activated under new owners

wildbill99

Swinger
d
For others - like myself - whose radar was unaware of this vessel . . .

View attachment 502401

View attachment 502404

View attachment 502407

View attachment 502408

I can only presume that Boeing must have paid for a bloody good "lunch", the day that the MoD signed the contract to purchase that !! :( .
The theory was that one of these charging around the North Sea at 40 knots could do the work of several conventional OPVs or fishery protection vessels. Unfortunately (as so often seems to happen) theory and practice turned out to be very different.

The bridge team had large padded seats with aircraft type harnesses to hold them in place, and even so found the experience uncomfortable.

The comments from the galley crew were completely unprintable!

d

The theory was that one of these charging around the North Sea at 40 knots could do the work of several conventional OPVs or fishery protection vessels. Unfortunately (as so often seems to happen) theory and practice turned out to be very different.

The bridge team had large padded seats with aircraft type harnesses to hold them in place, and even so found the experience uncomfortable.

Is Speedy still plying her trade in Hong Kong as a ferry?

Yokel

LE
The latest rumour is that the UK will offer Ukraine to purchase a force of fast attack craft/corvettes, and that the first two will be built in Britain. Assuming they are of a similar size to the OPVs built for Ireland, Appledore would be an ideal fit.

I still long for seeing commercial vessels being launched there, that was a regular occurrence as late the the late nineties.

Commercial design from Boeing, something of an experiment, only had her for 4 yrs I think.
As i recall it did a stint in the FPS - to thirsty to short legged to poor sea keeping was the rapd conclusion.

I know the yanks retired theres but im sure some found a new lease of life a few years back - possibly chasing drug runners.

Edit google says not - so unless they did that whilst still in US naval service - ive made it up

I know the yanks retired theres but im sure some found a new lease of life a few years back - possibly chasing drug runners.

Originally based in 6th Fleet (Med) and then run out of Florida (still USN) for a brief period - used to know one of the skippers a very long time ago. Too niche and expensive to keep in a peacetime role.

The latest rumour is that the UK will offer Ukraine to purchase a force of fast attack craft/corvettes, and that the first two will be built in Britain. Assuming they are of a similar size to the OPVs built for Ireland, Appledore would be an ideal fit.

Will believe it when I see it. Quite why the Yukes would buy a 30-year old design - for which the Design Authority has ceased to exist - and then have some built in a currently defunct facility that has no track record in building high-speed craft* (let alone ones with a combat system) is beyond me. Especially when there are a vast number of companies with more modern and available products in functioning yards (Messrs Lurssen, Fincantieri, Naval Group etc) who would be delighted to offer such. As would the Red Sea Pedestrians....

* High-speed craft need some very stringent weight control processes, as well as designing to relevant Rules.

I still long for seeing commercial vessels being launched there, that was a regular occurrence as late the the late nineties.

Before Mr Damen reached the Zenith of his 800lb Gorilla-ness.........which is the current limit to market entry.

These people are basically going to end up where Fergusons are now.

endure

GCM
Originally based in 6th Fleet (Med) and then run out of Florida (still USN) for a brief period - used to know one of the skippers a very long time ago.

Now that would explain my confusion - if it was ised to interdict drug boats

potter

Old-Salt
d

Sounds like you had some personal experience with SPEEDY? Wasn't availability / reliability a bit of an issue too?

Yokel

LE
Originally based in 6th Fleet (Med) and then run out of Florida (still USN) for a brief period - used to know one of the skippers a very long time ago. Too niche and expensive to keep in a peacetime role.

Will believe it when I see it. Quite why the Yukes would buy a 30-year old design - for which the Design Authority has ceased to exist - and then have some built in a currently defunct facility that has no track record in building high-speed craft* (let alone ones with a combat system) is beyond me. Especially when there are a vast number of companies with more modern and available products in functioning yards (Messrs Lurssen, Fincantieri, Naval Group etc) who would be delighted to offer such. As would the Red Sea Pedestrians....

* High-speed craft need some very stringent weight control processes, as well as designing to relevant Rules.

Before Mr Damen reached the Zenith of his 800lb Gorilla-ness.........which is the current limit to market entry.

These people are basically going to end up where Fergusons are now.

I would have thought that Appledore is the wrong place to build a FAC, and the FAC is the wrong choice for Ukraine. I would imagine that a large OPV or Corvette would be better, unless they are assuming on having an umbrella of air cover all the time.

Has there been any official announcement or is it just speculation?

Last edited:

wildbill99

Swinger
Sounds like you had some personal experience with SPEEDY? Wasn't availability / reliability a bit of an issue too?
Probably was, I certainly remember being sent on board her (in Pompey thankfully not at sea) to help fix a piece of (supposedly rugged) electronics that had gone u/s on her latest outing.

WARNING: Content, and editing, both definitely of dubious quality . . . with far too many "voice-overs" relating to/concerning APPLEDORE, yet with footage of Rosyth :( .

Absolutely NO IDEA, who is this HUF HACK fella, or what might be his credentials to post seemingly informative videos.

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

Originally published by: HUF HACK, on 03 September 2020.

The news that Appeldore shipyard in North Devon will reopen . . . .

. . . . has prompted fresh calls for three ships that will support the Royal Navy's £6bn new aircraft carriers to built in the UK.Last year, companies from Italy, Spain, Japan and South Korea were in the running for the £1.5bn contract to build Fleet Solid Support ships that will sail with HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales - with a UK consortium also shortlisted.

Plymouth Labour MP Luke Pollard had spearheaded calls for all Royal Navy ships to be made in Britain - including the contract to build Fleet Solid Support vessels that it was feared could be won by a firm in Spain.

Yokel

LE
I would desperately love to see the Appledore yard prosper, being local and all that. However they cannot build a vessel as large as FSS demands. Historically they were a commercial yard - selling vessels of less than 10 000 tonnes displacement all over the World.

I wonder if a case could be made for Government owned or partly owned shipping? In the old days there was a great deal of coastal shipping - doing things like moving coal for what was then the CEGB. I wonder how much congestion and pollution could be reduced by moving bulk items by sea?

Last edited:

Latest Threads