Apple TV? Worth it? Alternatives?

Following on from my other thread about the Apple iMac, I've also been wondering about the value of an Apple TV to allow my wife to play her music and video through both the home TV and (more importantly) the caravan TV. If it had an integrated DVD player, I don't think I'd be asking this question, but as it doesn't, what alternatives are there (price as well as capability wise).

I'm also considering the viability of an older Apple Mac mini, with integrated DVD, as a dual-purpose device (both as a "takeaway" mac and for home use). Any thoughts (clean ones, that is!).

Thanks,

Caravan? Are you the bloke I trailed for 20 mins yesterday doing 30 in a 50 zone with your fecking caravan. Burn it with fire.

Caravan? Are you the bloke I trailed for 20 mins yesterday doing 30 in a 50 zone with your fecking caravan.
Not me. I have a Merc E320. I'm not she's noticed the caravan keeping close formation behind her, but the caravan did - it turned white with fear, which saved cleaning it.

Slingbox transmits signal down broadband lines to any digital device with software installed on it, you can change your skybox at home and record onto your existing box, and watch anywhere in world using a phone line. Slingbox.com - Watch Your TV Anywhere
Yep, that doesn't appear to be what I'm after. I want to stream the video/music(/DVD) from an Apple(/Android) onto the stand-alone TV in my caravan.

Following on from my other thread about the Apple iMac, I've also been wondering about the value of an Apple TV to allow my wife to play her music and video through both the home TV and (more importantly) the caravan TV. If it had an integrated DVD player, I don't think I'd be asking this question, but as it doesn't, what alternatives are there (price as well as capability wise).

I'm also considering the viability of an older Apple Mac mini, with integrated DVD, as a dual-purpose device (both as a "takeaway" mac and for home use). Any thoughts (clean ones, that is!).

Thanks,
Apple TV kicks arrse, but jailbreak it first, then from your iPad/Pad/Phone control it using the "Remote" app, and connect to all your shared libraries, not just iTunes.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I have two and they just work. I use the iPad with a VPN to get UK TV here in Canada and then Airplay it via the Apple TV to my big boy set up. Works a treat. Plus I use my Netflick's account via the Apple TV and am looking to get a hacked Hulu Plus account. Once that is done goodbye overpriced and rubbish Cable TV.

If you have sold your soul to Apple (as I have) it makes sense and is easy to do.

I've got three of them. They're great, as long as you buy into the Apple way of doing things. It seems to be alien to the PC world, but it works for us.

We have one in the basement where the big screen & projector are, so can play movies from the computer there.

One in the bedroom for watching grot. Very useful feature is to have the grot in the iTunes library of a second account, and so the kids don't find "**** Pleasure in High Heels" discs.

One in my office. I use it for either an extended desktop or AirPlay mirroring. Occasionally play a movie or some music on it.
Does the Apple TV let you play imported DVDs and CDs or does it restrict you to stuff bought through iTunes? (hence my question about an older Apple TV with integrated DVD)

Does the Apple TV let you play imported DVDs and CDs or does it restrict you to stuff bought through iTunes? (hence my question about an older Apple TV with integrated DVD)
Apple TV has no optical drive, just network connections

If you look a bit deeper there are plenty of programs out there that allow you to rip a DVD without paying for it.

I cannot see Apple TV making much inroad in the UK to be honest, there is already enough competition here.

I have several, and I use one almost exactly as you describe. I have it in a campervan type thing. Terabytes of downloaded stuff on an external drive, imported into itunes via handbrake. Also use it as a big screen for movies etc on my ipad. Works a treat, and a lot less faffing around than setting up a sat dish if i want to watch some telly.

It takes some time and stuffing around to get everything converted and imported, but now I tend to set big lists of things to be converted by Handbrake, and just leave the computer to grind away overnight.