Apple Mac Book Air 11 inch Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Trip_Wire, Nov 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Well I ordered the maxed out MBA 11" and am VERY happy with it so far! It is the perfect size for travel and taking it with me any place I need a computer. I have had no issues with it so far!

Of course, for me it will be a secondary computer used mostly for travel and taking a computer with me when I need one.

If you need a small computer that runs Mac Os 10.6.5 it's a great buy!

Oh! BTW it also killed my reason to purchase an iPad, as I was disappointed that the iPad didn't run Mac Os or act like a real computer. I do have an iPod 2nd Generation that can handle most of that stuff!
  2. I have been thinking about getting one of these, Trip does it feels robust enough for a few inevitable gentle knocks? And is the lack of a cable jack a problem or is there a gizmo that can get around that?
  3. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

It seems to be pretty well made; however, I wouldn't give it a drop test to find out. LOL I have ordered a booq — Viper hardcase 11, black-red in color to protect it on trips.

MacBook Air case by booq

I'm not sure what a "cable jack," is. (Or what you mean?) It has two USB ports though. The things I ordered with it are a USB Ethernet Adapter, Apple Macbook Air Super Drive and an Apple MagSafe Airline power adapter. The Ethernet adapter allows me to hook it up with my Ethernet network and will also allow me to use it in places (hotels, etc.) where an Ethernet internet connection is required.

The little DVD/CD Superdrive seems to work great as do the other things I ordered. I also got an Applecare package with it as well. (Just in case.)
  4. Cable jack is the advanced technical term for USB ethernet adapter, honest.

It looks like you have fully researched your purchase, so I think I am going to order what you have including the booq.

Thanks Trip it's appreciated :thumright:
  5. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Yes, I did in fact research this purchase as well as keep an eye on the MacRumors website and others. Many thought the 11 inch was to small and opted for the 13"/ Many other thought that the fact that they didn't use the latest and fastest 'chip' in both was a con. Many were upset that the back-lighted key board wasn't supported in both.

Of course, none of these things really bothered me as I was looking for a small computer that ran the latest Mac OS. You can if you have another computer networked use it's DVD/CD drive to load stuff on the MBA. I have set this up on mine and my iMac i7; however, I haven't tried it yet.

The USB Ethernet Adapter, was pretty important for me, mostly because we have a time share Condo on the Oregon coast (Depoe Bay) and they supply free internet using a little box that plugs into the wall power outlet and an Ethernet cable from the box to your computer.

The Con for me was my total cost for all: $1,976.48.

That said if you get it I'm sure you will like it if your looking for a small computer with all the bell's and whistles!
  6. Ordered, thanks again.

It always amazes me how arrse influences my decision making, usually for the better
  7. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Great! When you get it and set it up, let me know what you think of it! Do you have or use Skype?