Apple Leopard for £5.99

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by amazing__lobster, Oct 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just thought I'd let fellow Mac Geeks know - if you bought your Apple Mac after the 1st of October, you are entitled to get Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard for only 5.99 from the Apple Store.

Although I purchased mine in September, but my order wasn't processed until the the 1st - and it has still let me place an order for it.

See towards the bottow of the page: http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=main&mco=EC571521

2. Cheers for the heads up, ordered it now :D

3. Great - hopefully a few more people will find out, as Apple didn't advertise this.

4. Wonder why, A_L? :D

Nice of them to offer it, advertised or not, though.

5. I didn't realise it's release was so soon, shouldbe nice to see some of the new features

6. My MacBook's over a year old now, so I can't take advantage, but I would welcome any comments on whether it will be worth getting Leopard at full price once you've had a chance to use it.

7. Using it now on a first generation Macbook Pro, it works pretty well so far (only been installed in the past 2 hours!). It's got a more sensible fan speed policy, as far as I can tell, so you probably won't burn your lap as quickly as you could with Tiger...

I like the backup utility that comes with it - Time Machine. Very straightforward-looking...

Just so I can share my smugness for a few minutes:
    (Edited for typing mongness.)

8. Mine was dispatched this morning, so will give people the heads up when I've had a play, probably monday, though maybe even tomorrow.

Saw a copy a mate had installed - the new finder view function looks really useful - you can browse files in the same way as browsing albums in itunes, and can use them without opening them. This is good for PDFs, etc.

Though the different workspaces feature looks good, too.

9. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I've been a Mac user since 1986 or so. I still use some applications that will not run on OS v10.5. A couple of these programs Helix (Database) and Adobe Pagemaker (Used for a couple of newsletters that I do.) are not upgradeable to 10.5.

They are running just fine on OS v10.4.10, so I'll stick with that version, for now. I have two Macs an iMac and a 12" notebook running on v10.4.10. along with Classic OS v9.x

This also, prohibits me from purchasing one of the new iMacs to replace my 800 MHz PowerPC G-4, which I'd love to do.

They will only run on vOS 9.x (Classic) which will operate in a duel role on 10.4.x Apparently Apple has no plan to make Classic (vOS 9.x) run under 10.5.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303137

They are running just fine on OS v10.4.10, so I'll stick with that version, for now. I have two Macs an iMac and a 12" notebook running on v10.4.10.

This also, prohibits me from purchasing one of the new iMacs to replace my 800 MHz PowerPC G-4, which I'd love to do.