Apple iPad

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by Arte_et_Marte, Jul 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know they are not on general release yet in the UK and here in potato land, but has anybody got one, or used one? As I have a couple of questions.

Are they as good as the hype? Or is it still a bit of a beta?

Are you tied into a particular network for internet use?

Will they handle a bit of rough handling? Or is it a bit of a girls blouse?

Ta muchly for any replies.

2. I have one and I love it . Basically it is a big iPod touch with a long battery life and I have hardly used my laptop since I got it . It is great for reading emails especially if you have several accounts as you don't have to log into them individually , they are all visible on one page . I read the papers on it and watch videos on it after my nightshifts . It boots up in an instant , you don't have to bother with anti-virus software and all the messy updates you get with windows and it is so much more enjoyable to use . My 2 year old grandson loves the interactive toddler apps and has learned to count using it , he punches the screen so it is quite robust . On the downside there is no flash player so some video links don't work , and there isn't a USB port , but I think you can improvise this by using the camera kit . Also you are tied into iTunes for the apps and videos . I have 3G but haven't used it yet as the wifi picks up so easily .

3. If they is no USB port on a ipad, how would I transfer images from my digital camera to the ipad?

4. You can buy a camera kit that plugs into the iPad and then you plug the camera into that or use the card reader from the same kit . I haven't got one . So I send photos by email from work and then download them

5. Ahh I see, I just been on ebay, the camera kits are going for about £35.

6. I just love to use all the gadgets of Apple and that is why I have purchased new iPad though I have iPhone. iPad is the most flexible and comfortable to use and it is easily portable. I like its all the application also because they are very nice and latest as well.

7. Thanks for that pixel. Very informative.

I am wondering if I should wait for the next generation, which may have the downsides that you describe sorted out. (No USB and no Flash, even as an app?)

I would much prefer (as I suppose would anybody) to have the whole package in one hit, and not have to resort to apple shop/pc world/fleabay to add hardware.

Thanks again.

8. I have one too, I'm writing on it now :). The iPad will never have flash according to Steve Jobs and I'm not sure it will ever get USB either. As an educated guess i would think the next version will have a camera and a faster processor and more RAM, but nothing massively new or significant. It will probably be released April or May next year if you can wait that long. Also I would recommend getting one, current or next gen, believe the hype they are awesome. Probably the most advanced bit of kit I have ever owned (and I'm a bit of a tech freak)

9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

10. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

11. My bold: and yet it will probably be marketted as a totally new and upgraded super ipad with a massive pricetag. Which will still sell because people will buy Apple products because they are made by Apple, not because they are actually any good (thats a generic statement and not aimed directly at any particular Apple product).