Apple iMac 24 - still worth buying?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Excognito, Apr 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning All,

I'm in need of a new desktop and, for the first time, am considering an Apple. My wife's pleased with her new iPad mini and iPhone 4S and it would be good for her to be able to use a larger Apple for those occasions when a small screen doesn't cut the mustard. I need oxygen just to look at the prices for a new iMac, but have found a few older iMac 24" systems going somewhat cheaper.

The question is: is it worth getting an iMac 24 or is it so far behind the times that it makes Uncle Bulgaria look like a cutting-edge geek?

I've also toyed with the idea of getting an older mac mini (with the integrated DVD drive) - again, are they still worth considering?

For way of comparison, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on a Dell Inspiron 5521 with 4 GiB RAM and a 2.5 GHz dual-core processor running in to a Dell 23" monitor.
  2. I used to have an iMac 24" and loved it.

They're getting on a bit now, but depending on what you want to use it for then an iMac 24 would be more than ideal for general home/work use, I'd definitely recommend one.
  3. Thanks; that's one tick on the credit side. :)
  4. 64 bit OS isn't essential, especially if the computer is only going to be used for basic home use
  5. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

If you are looking to buy from Apple check out their referbs on the online store. Good deals to be had on high spec machines.
  6. Fair one, but I thought the point of him going for a iMac 24" was due to the price of the new models being prohibitive.
  7. Thanks, that's worth knowing.
  8. The older mac stuff works fine. My MacPro is celebrating it's 5th birthday soon and is running whatever the last version of OSX is - haven't checked if it runs the current version as it's tucked away until I have somewhere with the space to set it up
  9. Look into student discounts. Hint you don't have to be a student, just buying it for your distant cousin. Might make a new one more attractive!
  10. Well, that's what it's intended for but experience has taught me to plan for mission creep ... If the Mac's scientific and mathematical applications are as good as claimed by Applers then I might end up playing with it more. :)
  11. That is indeed the point, but looking around there doesn't appear to be big difference between the later duo versions and the earlier models. ... In fact, some of the Pros are going for reasonable money, but that is getting beyond mere mission creep into an entirely new theatre of operations!
  12. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

We bought an iMac 27 last year and it rocks, I'll never buy a PC again, the wife is swapping her work laptop for a Macbook based on our experience with the iMac.

Get one, once you go Mac, you never go back.
  13. If you want full compatibility with your missus's iPad & iPhone you will need Mountain Lion to automatically synchronise the iCloud docs, photostream, calendar, reminders, contacts, notes etc. and also use airdrop.
  14. You can get the new os for macs by downloading them from pirate bay or paying 30 quid ish from apple. Unlike Microsoft they don't make stealing their software difficult. You can also use bootcamp to have windows on your machine as well if you need it for software or work.
  15. How very chav.