Apple Has More Cash Than U.S Government.

Apple now has more cash to spend than the entire government of the United States.

1. Is the U.S government in serious trouble or is this just a smoke and mirrors game?

2. If genuine, what would be the worst case scenario?

My own view is that they spent like "madmen" on their over obsessional disorder with Global War Games.

Linky .... BBC News - Apple holding more cash than USA

Alsacien

MIA
1. Not really.
2. World War III

Maybe you are right, they should have bought every civil servant an iPod instead - it would have been cheaper than steaming into I-rak and Afany-stan...

That would be because Apple actually has something people want to buy.

I've got £5.75 that's more money than the US government has at the moment :)

Rumors of America's imminent demise, are as always, somewhat over exaggerated.
Rumours of American hegemony's demise are probably not, though. You can't run the world on a shoestring.

Rumours of American hegemony's demise are probably not, though. You can't run the world on a shoestring.
The US could demolish any military stupid enough to take it on in a no holds barred, knock down, drag out fight with relative ease. That will not change in my lifetime despite the fervent wishes of of the chatterattii.

The US could demolish any military stupid enough to take it on in a no holds barred, knock down, drag out fight with relative ease. That will not change in my lifetime despite the fervent wishes of of the chatterattii.
Depends on whether they are still paying their troops come Wednesday.....

What has that to do with hegemony? What can the US do to any country that isn't stupid enough to play to US strengths? How credible is a one trick pony, exactly?

If they want to remain relevant, let alone a power in the world, then re-emphasising forms of power other than military is essential for them. Convincing other people that they're in the right and actually being so would be a good start.

The US could demolish any military stupid enough to take it on in a no holds barred, knock down, drag out fight with relative ease.
Really? ....... So what went wrong with these punch up's ??

Revolutionary War 1775-1781 (6 years)
War of 1812 1812-1815 (3years)
Mexican- American War 1845-1848 (3years)
World War Two 1941-1945 (4years)
Korea 1950-1953 (3years)
Vietnam 1965-1974 (9 years)
Gulf War II 2003-2010 (7years)
Afghanistan 2001- (10 years to date) *No end in sight, so god knows how many more years*.

Looks like they were/are struggling with some of these!

Sound and fury, signifying nothing. America is too big to fail. and neither Republicans or Democrats are stupid enough to commit suicide. Both sides will drag this out until the last minute, trying to score as many points as they can. But it will go down to the wire - not over it.

Really? ....... So what went wrong with these punch up's ??

Revolutionary War 1775-1781 (6 years)
War of 1812 1812-1815 (3years)
Mexican- American War 1845-1848 (3years)
World War Two 1941-1945 (4years)
Korea 1950-1953 (3years)
Vietnam 1965-1974 (9 years)
Gulf War II 2003-2010 (7years)
Afghanistan 2001- (10 years to date) *No end in sight, so god knows how many more years*.

Looks like they were/are struggling with some of these!
You missed the Great War and Gulf War 1, other than that I see one draw, one that they had no will to win, and one still undecided.

Actually Apple is thinking of making an offer to Obama to buy the United States. Name will change to iCountry.

This are tough now and the costs of Obamacare have not kicked in yet. Many companies are moving operations overseas due to the costs Obamacare will involve. In my city a major biotech employer announced last week that they are buillding in China and will have 1000 employees at the new factory. Three days later they announced the closure of a facility in my city with 1200 employees fired.

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
So Reagan lifted the debt to $2.2 trillion, Clinton $6, Bush $11.6 and now Obama is sitting on $14.2.

If you owe the bank $100,000, the bank owns you but if you owe the bank $100,000,000...

Actually Apple is thinking of making an offer to Obama to buy the United States. Name will change to iCountry.

This are tough now and the costs of Obamacare have not kicked in yet. Many companies are moving operations overseas due to the costs Obamacare will involve. In my city a major biotech employer announced last week that they are buillding in China and will have 1000 employees at the new factory. Three days later they announced the closure of a facility in my city with 1200 employees fired.
Welcome to the club. The major employer where I live in England has outsourced most of its work to a Special Economic Zone in India where corporation tax is zero and a good, graduate engineer can be had for £500 per month.

I suspect that America might be starting to experience the kind of underemployment that Britain first encountered in the 1960s, when heavy industry moved abroad. The American economy is really being hammered though. Newsnight had a piece last week about homeless shelters where entire families, mum, dad and the kids, sleep on the floor on mattresses in church halls and community centres.

People blame Obama and the response to the nearest thing America will ever have to a Communist in the White House is the rise of the Tea Party. Keen to flex their new, political muscles, the movement have engineered a conflict with Obama and the Democrats at the first opportunity. I confidently predict a last minute compromise some time on Monday night.

People blame Obama ................
Believe it or not I feel sorry for the bloke. If you read his book he was moved by the inequalities that he observed as a young man, he has tried to do the right thing by bringing in some good things for the populace.

However, US politics is all about the moment, instant sound bytes and being re-elected to get an even bigger pension. The power in US politics sits with the lobbyists who effectively buy politicians and their votes.

Obama wanted to introduce a healthcare Bill to give equal healtcare for all. Sadly for him the nearest english speaking model they could find was the NHS and then CNN went all out to mis-quote, twist and re-word every interview they had with Brits and NHS staff so that the NHS looked like a total bag of guano.

I have had septics sympathise with me about the high taxes in the UK because of the healthcare system. Thats the mis-conception they have been fed here. After living with their healthcare system for a year now I can hand on heart tell you that I will never, ever, ever, criticise the NHS again. We pay our equivelent of National Insurance here, similar in cost to what is paid in the UK and then on top of that we have to pay over $500 a month for healthcare insurance. Its a bit like car insurance with the bit that you opt to pay yourself before the insurance kicks in ......... we have to pay the first $3000 in any year, nice.

There are safety nets with social security and food stamps etc. However, 25% of houses have in some way been re-posessed by lenders here for individuals defaulting on mortgages. So, there are lots of homeless people out there looking for cheap accomodation and work. People need cars here because everything is so spread out - the state of some of the vehicles on the roads though is absolutely desperate: totally bald tyres; half exhausts; bodywork hanging off; spewing smoke. The thing is many states do not have an MOT test equivelent so they get away with it, they only come a cropper if they have an accident and plod decides that the accident was caused due to mechanical fault - then they are charged for an unroadworthy vehicle.

I am amazed daily at some of the sights I see, I used to see more civilised, modern and advanced life styles and living in the far east and middle east 30 something years ago - when the USA was calling them third world.

They are living in a self created bubble that precludes them looking outside their own borders and also looking inwards and admitting to their own problems.

Believe it or not I feel sorry for the bloke. If you read his book he was moved by the inequalities that he observed as a young man, he has tried to do the right thing by bringing in some good things for the populace.

However, US politics is all about the moment, instant sound bytes and being re-elected to get an even bigger pension. The power in US politics sits with the lobbyists who effectively buy politicians and their votes.

Obama wanted to introduce a healthcare Bill to give equal healtcare for all. Sadly for him the nearest english speaking model they could find was the NHS and then CNN went all out to mis-quote, twist and re-word every interview they had with Brits and NHS staff so that the NHS looked like a total bag of guano.

I have had septics sympathise with me about the high taxes in the UK because of the healthcare system. Thats the mis-conception they have been fed here. After living with their healthcare system for a year now I can hand on heart tell you that I will never, ever, ever, criticise the NHS again. We pay our equivelent of National Insurance here, similar in cost to what is paid in the UK and then on top of that we have to pay over $500 a month for healthcare insurance. Its a bit like car insurance with the bit that you opt to pay yourself before the insurance kicks in ......... we have to pay the first $3000 in any year, nice.

There are safety nets with social security and food stamps etc. However, 25% of houses have in some way been re-posessed by lenders here for individuals defaulting on mortgages. So, there are lots of homeless people out there looking for cheap accomodation and work. People need cars here because everything is so spread out - the state of some of the vehicles on the roads though is absolutely desperate: totally bald tyres; half exhausts; bodywork hanging off; spewing smoke. The thing is many states do not have an MOT test equivelent so they get away with it, they only come a cropper if they have an accident and plod decides that the accident was caused due to mechanical fault - then they are charged for an unroadworthy vehicle.

I am amazed daily at some of the sights I see, I used to see more civilised, modern and advanced life styles and living in the far east and middle east 30 something years ago - when the USA was calling them third world.

They are living in a self created bubble that precludes them looking outside their own borders and also looking inwards and admitting to their own problems.
I don't. Obama was supposed to be the Chosen One, the Messiah, the Last Son of Krypton who would usher in a second Camelot; JFK with a good suntan. He fed the hype in order to get himself elected. **** him if he can't fulfil his promises.

And he's no fan of us, either. He still has a chip on his shoulder because a British squaddie allegedly gave his grandfather a shoeing back in Kenya.

But as I said before, this is all academic: there will be a last-minute deal. This is the political version of an Action Movie with the hero trying to decide which wire to cut as the bomb counts down to detonation. There's never any doubt that the good guy will choose the correct wire and the timer will stop with one second left on the readout...:roll: