Apple breaking anti-competition laws

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by crabby, Apr 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Went to download quicktime (for .mov format widely used online) - Downloading off apple and it is bundled with Itunes, there is NO option to download with Itunes. I seem to remember Microsoft getting down for bundling windows media player with windows XP, so why don't we start something against Apple? It's a waste of my harddisk space and will slow down my computer, apple burn in hell :twisted:
  2. try Realplayer - works perfectly for me and it manages to run on minimal system resources.
  3. You will be happy to know that the frogs are actually the only ones to have the balls to stand up to apple corp.

They have filed a law suit against apple, preventing them from using the technology in itunes which prevents music files (purchased using itunes), to be played on any other brand of MP3 player.

Vive la republique! :D
  4. Quicktime player IS available as a seperate download. I don't have the link with me, but if you look for ityou will eventually find it.
  5. Real Player is evil and does chew up system reasourses as it strats up in the background and gives you pop-ups.
  6. Don't use Real Player, it takes over all preferences and resets them everytime you change something.
    Try the Real Alternative which is just the old Media Player with the appropriate codecs.
    Also there's a Quicktime Alternative which works just as well.
  7. Have to agree, but i would rather use it than give any returns to the evil emperor William Gates, or to Steve 'the destroyer of worlds' Jobs :D
  8. Lesser of evils I'm afraid - winplayer = spyware, quicktime = itunes, if you're after a no-frills player try Hyplay - it's as basic as they come but it works.
  9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I think Microsoft's problems arose because they bundled the useless Internet Explorer (not media player) with the equally dire Windoze, whilst QuickTime is (for Windoze users at least), now part of iTunes. If you used Windoze, you had to have IE (with all the security issues, bugs and so on), as it was an integral part of the OS. This was viewed as uncompetitive and restrictive as far as other software suppliers were concerned. QuickTime or iTunes are just some of the programs available for playing video and music - you have a choice, and don't have to use them. Doesn't Windoze Media Player still come with the OS?

The case in France alluded to elsewhere concerns the use of copy protection; the Frogs want all music to be downloadable and playable on all systems, but Apple's deals to sell the tracks means that they have to use copy protection. It's probably got more to do with restrictive practices in the music industry than iTunes Music Store, but as Apple are the 'retailer' they're getting the flak. Similarly, tracks are more expensive in the UK store than the European and US ones - again down to the music industry.

Anyway, a quick Google found Quicktime by itself here - even for Windoze.
  10. I think the issue was that IE effectively became part of the OS. Ok, Apple use Safari's rendering engine in a few other Apps but try running Windows sans IE...
    It's not just a coincidence that the windows you use to browse your folders looks a lot like IE.
  11. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Mine look nothing like IE, but then I have a spyware, virus and IE-free MacBook Pro and G5 iMac. I have now even been able to bin Word and PowerPoint, replacing them with iWork 06, which is a comparative snip at £65, not least because they aren't full of bugs, unlike Office. The only Microsoft product I use (apart from a game or two), is Media Player.
  12. And for the record - Quicktime is Apple's media codec application. In other words it is the encoder/decoder used to play and record music and video. It's a standalone application but pretty essential for a Mac.

Safari is Apple's web browser, which is highly standards compliant. Although Mac only, it is heavily based on the Mozilla engine, which is also used for Firefox.

iTunes is Apple's music player and purchasing portal. In order to access their store they use Safari's rendering engine, but it doesn't need Safari as they've built this bit in. However, in order to play and record music it needs a codec i.e. QuickTime, which is why when you download iTunes, you need to get QT at the same time.

Hope this makes sense.
  13. Yes, me too.
    Well, ok, my PowerBook's an older one but the fact remains.
    T'was a general comment aimed at everyone, not just you.
  14. Have to admit I'm using IE.7 (beta) because I actually find it more stable than firefox.

Microsoft Teacher and Students edition - £100ish including powerpoint

Windows media player is actually underrated.

Other than that they can burn in hell :p

(p.s thanks for links + help)