Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Appealing SNLR/Re-Enlisting to Sandhurst

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim30

LE
To the OP.

First off, I'll hold my hand up and say I'm a career civilian, with no experience of Army life. But even I can see from your posts why you might have had problems at Sandhurst. And it's being made pretty clear by far more knowledgeable posters than I that you have zero chance of reversing the decision.

Your future path is now as a civilian and you need to accept that. You have to take a hard, honest look at yourself, realise you were probably removed from Sandhurst for good reason and work on correcting the problems. You also need to start thinking about what civilian career you want and the qualifications you need for success in that. Then you need to crack on and get a job.

You have to stop obsessing about this. Otherwise you'll screw up your civilian career as well as your army one.

Wordsmith
Thats an excellent point - you've got to go forward in life knowing that you are a civilian and not an ex-soldier with something to prove. Don't let yourself become embittered over this, hard as that sounds right now, because it is simply not worth it. You're not the first, you won't be the last and while your mates may be telling you what you want to hear now, your direction and theirs will be taking a different course in future.

It sounds to me like the Army gave you a very fair crack of the whip - you had two attempts at a term, and two sets of CoC to impress and demonstrate that you had potential. That the end of this process resulted in a body of evidence sufficient enough to warrant a discharge SNLR, despite the impact this will have downstream on army manpower plots shows that there was a very serious problem out there.

You have two choices now - you can take the easy route of blaming everyone but yourself and trying to see if there is some kind of conspiracy. You may go down the road of FOIs, grumpy letters to MPs etc in a vain effort to see this reversed. The chances are that you are completely wasting your time and in doing that, will waste a lot of other peoples time too. The paperwork process will be exhaustive and robust, and will set out in great detail why you have been let go. If you do complain or take it further, this will be dug out, sent to the office of whoever replies to your letter and given as cast iron evidence. Bluntly put, no matter how grumpy you feel, you aren't going to change it.

The second option is what I would suggest. Have an honest conversation with yourself - look at the paperwork, and more importantly, get a couple of mates you trust to look at it too, without telling them the situation. Ask them if it reflects what they think of you. Then, work on the weaknesses, try to overcome them by other means and take steps to become a better person.

There is no shame in not passing out of Sandhurst - you did well to pass AOSB, but bluntly the Army is not for everyone, no matter how good they think they are. They don't discharge for shits and giggles, and you and you alone are responsible for the circumstances of your departure. Accept responsibility for what went wrong, learn from it and move on.

I wish you every success in your future as a civilian.

Debenham

Old-Salt
Fair play to you for sticking up for yourself here but like everyone has said, it's no easy task being kicked out. Especially at the moment (manpower problems,I've heard some things are a tad more lenient). If you're really intent on the military then try the RAF or Navy. Or try join the reserves as a soldier then try apply for regular officer again in a year or so.

Tbh though I don't feel you're being entirely honest with us about your dismissal, you've not said anything in detail enough to warrant dismissal.

Fair play to you for sticking up for yourself here but like everyone has said, it's no easy task being kicked out. Especially at the moment (manpower problems,I've heard some things are a tad more lenient). If you're really intent on the military then try the RAF or Navy. Or try join the reserves as a soldier then try apply for regular officer again in a year or so.

Tbh though I don't feel you're being entirely honest with us about your dismissal, you've not said anything in detail enough to warrant dismissal.

He has benn SNLR'd - unsuitable for any futher service.

He won't be joining the Reserve any time soon.

OP. Go out, get very drunk, wake up feeling crap and get over it.

Then look in a mirror and have the honest 3 am conversation about why it happened. look at all the notes you have. look at discharge paperwork. Look at how you have performed, without the 'everyone hate me' filter.

I failed the Reserve CC on my first attempt. My first 24 hours after getting back are a drunken blur. I got it out of my system, spent a lot of time looking into myself, fixed things then went back and passed 12 months later.

Sounds like you missed the bit about fixing what was wrong when given the chance.

Now learn from the experience, cut your losses and don't become bitter and twisted. Find a career path you want to follow, figure out how to do it and apply some determination to it, without any pre-conceptions.

Good Luck.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
When I think of all the recruits we couldn't throw out of Winchester despite many, many good reasons I'd be surprised that they didn't have sufficient reason to SNLR the OP.

One of our precious recruits was sent to MCTC for 28 days and soldier on.
She'd only assaulted the Ord Sgt multiple times while on RoP's, refused several lawful orders, and was suspected of malingering (actually I had proof of that but it wasn't acted upon).
Eventually she was binned, but we wasted stupid amounts of time and effort on her.

jim30

LE
When I think of all the recruits we couldn't throw out of Winchester despite many, many good reasons I'd be surprised that they didn't have sufficient reason to SNLR the OP.

One of our precious recruits was sent to MCTC for 28 days and soldier on.
She'd only assaulted the Ord Sgt multiple times while on RoP's, refused several lawful orders, and was suspected of malingering (actually I had proof of that but it wasn't acted upon).
Eventually she was binned, but we wasted stupid amounts of time and effort on her.

But this is Sandhurst don't forget, and there are only so many times you can expect someone to fail the intensive 'party biscuit, coffee making, sandwich eating' meal of death...

To the OP.

First off, I'll hold my hand up and say I'm a career civilian, with no experience of Army life. But even I can see from your posts why you might have had problems at Sandhurst. And it's being made pretty clear by far more knowledgeable posters than I that you have zero chance of reversing the decision.

Your future path is now as a civilian and you need to accept that. You have to take a hard, honest look at yourself, realise you were probably removed from Sandhurst for good reason and work on correcting the problems. You also need to start thinking about what civilian career you want and the qualifications you need for success in that. Then you need to crack on and get a job.

You have to stop obsessing about this. Otherwise you'll screw up your civilian career as well as your army one.

Wordsmith
To the OP - what he said. When I was at Sandhurst (a long time ago) we had a couple of guys who were let go. They were good guys but they just didn't cut the mustard as potential Ruperts. It is done and over. Go and get a civvie career, make loadsa dosh or a significant contribution to something worthwhile and then you can look yourself in the mirror and say "**** them - I showed them". But do it with a smile and good grace. You have the rest of your life to get on with - don't do it with a bag of rotting bitter lemons permanently attached to your back.

Best of luck in your new future.

I think it is safe to say the full story is not being presented considering he has been told no to regular or reserve service too.

Which is the diplomatic way of saying you are leaving something out.

There are normally a couple of ways to get kicked out of RMAS. A single massive violation of standards can do it - normally integrity. Bearing in mind we had someone who crashed his car into a statue drunk and then lied about it - and he only got double back termed so understand what I mean when I say massive.

The alternative is deep incompetence over an extended period of time. We had guys for whom the writing was on the wall for a long time - before being given the push - even then normally back termed, or even sent to Lucknow to work on fitness. They were all good guys but just weren't going to be able to make it.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP

Please edit your post to delete the words 'or Navy'.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm guessing that either we're not getting the whole story or the OP hasn't fully accepted or processed what he's been told. Either way, it's clear that the military's not for him or her - the UK military at least. As noted upthread, absolutely no point whatsoever either bitching or seeking redress over this - for an SNLR removal from Sandhurst, the paperwork and the process will have been excruciatingly fair and detailed.

That's no big deal, soldiering's not right for everyone and everyone's not right for soldiering. This isn't a huge, dramatic life failure, it's simply an event which will help the OP identify what he or she is actually good at and wants to do. Best of luck with it, matey.

jim30

LE
If the OP hasn't seen it, its worth watching the 3 Part 2010 documentary on Sandhurst - it shows how people get through, and others get backtermed. It helps set the scene about what the DS are looking for and why. It may help contextualise why they have failed.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
How about loading this thread onto one of those narrow trolleys the R Sigs used to have and wheeling it off to a less formal forum where we can have a bit of fun with it?

Please god let his DS appear in a flash of purple smoke on arrse and tell us the true tale :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.