Appealing SNLR/Re-Enlisting to Sandhurst

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently discharged from Sandhurst after nearly a year (got backtermed 1 term) and was given Service no longer required without the right to go in as a regular soldier or reserves.

Is there any form of appeal or challenge process as the grounds are so vague and loose it seems to confirm the believe this was more just a case that certain people weren't fans of myself and wanted me out.

My original plt cmdr had put some false statements on my review board statement (when was back termed) that brought my integrity into question. Explain these were not true and was told would be removed from my report but it had already gone to the Review Board. Assistant Commandant was obviously not impressed and threatened to discharge me there and then.
Since the back term I did a lot better in my new plt and the guys backed me up and worked as a fantastic team, best group of people I know! But the plt cmdr (a foreign military officer) wasn't my biggest fan. Believe he had some issue with me, potentially culture related or just because I had raised some questions in class regarding British Doctrine and what was being taught (as I had already had the lessons before). He basically ranked me bottom of the plt below all oversea cadets etc and this was the point Ast Cmdt stating "I just wasn't getting it maybe not right fit for the Army" which just isn't true and the entire plt made their thoughts clear to the plt cmdr after that this was completely over the top and unjust.

Is there any way I can challenge/appeal this and look to re-enlist either Sandhurst or Officer Reserves??

Last edited:
The best course of action would be to approach the Careers Advisors with as much information as possible. You are likely to receive a bit of a ribbing on here.

Hmm, where any issues related to your poor English? Or a dislike for Johnny Foreigner? Inability to grasp British military abbreviations? Just askin'!

Are you sure you weren't kicked out for blatant racism/Xenophobia? Sounds like you have some serious prejudices against your foreign platoon commander and foreign fellow cadets.

Believe he had some issue with me, potentially culture related or just because I had raised some questions in classregarding British Doctrine and what wasbeing taught (as I had already had the lessons before)
Sounds like you had some serious attitude problems. It's the RAF Regiment for you!

Change your name and DoB slightly and reapply in a couple of years .
Manning and records will never even notice , the foreign platoon commander will have left and so will a lot of the other staff .
Dye your hair , too , just in case .

B

BruisedCrab

It is very difficult to be completely and objectively honest about how you yourself are doing during officer training but this ability is now crucial to you and your future. In other words, it's time to take a really good hard look at yourself and ask "Am I really really cut out for this?'

We cannot possibly gauge an accurate picture from a single and inevitably one-sided post and only you can decide on your own future course of action. However, it does come across that your training officers, for whatever reason(s), just didn't want you to be commissioned. Maybe this just is not for you.

Whatever your future, I wish you luck.

As long as you are within 3 months of the alleged 'wrong' happening, you have the right to make a Service Complaint.

Try contacting the Service Complaints Ombudsman.

But first have a long, hard think about why there appears to be a common theme emerging, other than the obvious conspiracy.

From what I have seen of Officer Training across the Services, it is rare, to put it mildly, for someone to be SNLR'd without there being an exhaustive and properly conducted chain of events put in motion to get to that point. It is easy to feel you are somehow wronged, but the system does not want to lose a potential officer, on whom a great deal of time and effort has been invested, unless it absolutely has to.

You may wish to reflect on this carefully, and whether you are really cut out for a career in the military.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
You have to be pretty bad to be SNLR in these days of undermanning, especially with the added caveat of no soldier/reserve service. I'd be pretty sure that the proper process will have been followed, and am surprised that you were back termed if, as you say, your Pl Comd admitted his error. To be frank (some readers will see what I did there) the common factor in all of this sounds like you. Sorry to be blunt.

I was recently discharged from Sandhurst after nearly a year (got backtermed 1 term) and was given Service no longer required without the right to go in as a regular soldier or reserves.

Is there any form of appeal or challenge process as the grounds are so vague and loose it seems to confirm the believe this was more just a case that certain people weren't fans of myself and wanted me out.

My original plt cmdr had put some false statements on my review board statement (when was back termed) that brought my integrity into question. Explain these were not true and was told would be removed from my report but it had already gone to the Review Board. Assistant Commandant was obviously not impressed and threatened to discharge me there and then.
Since the back term I did a lot better in my new plt and the guys backed me up and worked as a fantastic team, best group of people I know! But the plt cmdr (a foreign military officer) wasn't my biggest fan. Believe he had some issue with me, potentially culture related or just because I had raised some questions in class regarding British Doctrine and what was being taught (as I had already had the lessons before). He basically ranked me bottom of the plt below all oversea cadets etc and this was the point Ast Cmdt stating "I just wasn't getting it maybe not right fit for the Army" which just isn't true and the entire plt made their thoughts clear to the plt cmdr after that this was completely over the top and unjust.

Is there any way I can challenge/appeal this and look to re-enlist either Sandhurst or Officer Reserves??
So not one, but two platoon commanders 'had it in for you'? How did you get on with your CSgt, CSM, OC? Presumably for you to be back termed, they all were of a similar opinion?

Anyone under consideration for non-disciplinary, non-injury related reasons (i.e. failing to meet the training standard) was given chance after chance in my intake. First the CSgt would be on your shoulder in a comd appt, then the Pl Comd, then the OC and CSM.......... you had to go some to get back termed.

The Army is desperate to recruit officers, to the point that there is far more appetite for risk at AOSB than existed previously.

Yet you were SNLR? There must be more to it than your post suggests. As Jim points out, SNLR doesn't just come at you 'out of the sun'.

I was involved in discharging a few apprentices from the RN so have seen this from t'other side. The body of evidence required before going anywhere near the CO was weighty in the extreme and was frequently knocked back to go get some more evidence. One guy refused to believe he wasn't Gods gift to Naval engineering, another wrote to us afterwards to say thanks for the honesty and fairness in helping him out of a bad spot. I would suggest, as has been already alluded to, the root of your problem can almost certainly be found in the mirror whilst having a shave

Two Platoon Commanders and their CoC found you to be unsuitable for military service?

I think your Army days are over I'm afraid.

Sell your story to the Daily Mail and go round the world on the proceeds ?
Actually , you might get the price of a good lunch out of it .

Sounds like the army dodged a bullet by binning you.

You could try writing and singing hit songs about a girl being 'beeyootiful'. Failing that, DPD pay £9 hour for wharehouse staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.