Appealing for army entry

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by MissValentine, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I applied for the army in Feb this year and was rejected. I have since decided to appeal against the decision. Until yesterday my GP decided to give me a letter, stating I was fit and healthy in his opinion to join the Armed Forces.

There is two reasons why I was rejected.

1) I was sexually assualted as a child and self harmed through it. I was really disgusted by this.

2) Asthma, I have never had an Asthma attack but I have had inhalers as a precautionary method. My last prescribed inhalers were...July 2008. I only got these as I was moving abroad and did not trust the health services in the country I was moving too.

I took my GP's letter in to the Army Careers Office today and they said they would post it up to Glencourse for me. He said he does not know whether I will be rejected or not. I don't think this is fair, if I have studied Martial Arts for nine years and never had any problems doing that, same as running and swimming. I have ran cross country since I left school

2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

When did you last actually need the inhalers?

As for self harming, while sympathetic, when did you last do that? The Army wont want to give a loaded rifle to a potentially mentally unsettled person, for obvious reasons.

3. Why did you have inhalers if you've never had an attack? There must be some reason why the doctor prescribed them to you? If not then after four years clear of symptoms and treatment you are eligible to join up.

Research suggests that those who self-harm once, even after serious emotional trauma, are at a significantly elevated risk of recurrence, depression and suicide. It is entirely possible that you could be exposed to another traumatic experience whilst serving, and you've already shown you're predisposed to self-harm. Self-harming more than once permanently precludes service.

As far as the rules go I'm afraid that you don't seem to have much of a chance. An awful lot of people fall foul of the asthma rules, so you can't escape the deferral there, but the bigger issue is the self-harm; yes, you have mitigating circumstances through abuse but if you harmed more than once, the army is extremely unlikely to want to risk it. Apologies for not being what you wanted to hear.

4. I last self harmed ten years ago. Right after it happened to me. I last needed the inhalers when I was about 12. And I'm nearly 21 now.

5. This has me so frustrated it's beyond real! The Sergeant seems to think I have a good chance. So I'm so keeping my fingers crossed.

6. Crack on with the appeal, if that's your plan, because if you don't you'll spend your life wondering. Just don't get your hopes up too much, because the rules are against you.

7. Do the same rules apply to all the Armed forces? i.e Navy, RAF

8. The recruiters can't comment on anything medical so thats why they didn't give you a forward answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.