Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, could anyone tell me please if there is a fixed amount of time to appeal an application rejection on medical grounds?

My son was rejected as when at school (aged 12, he is now nearly 17) he was having a few problems, nothing serious, just hormones, lost his grandmother. We thought we would help and get him some counselling.

Because we got him some help, he has now been rejected on the grounds that he had some anger management counselling. If we had left him to it, he would have got in!!!

He was devastated, it was all he wanted to do. We have left it some months now, and was wondering if we could still appeal?

Thank you for your time.

2. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

You can still appeal but you will need to have it supported by evidence from your GP. I would advise not to leave it too much longer though.

3. Many thanks.

4. Many thanks.

5. An emotive problem OP, as they place a lot of emphasis on medical records. Still, seems a bit harsh on a 12 year old as that'sd barely pubescent! If he's only 17 he has still got plenty of time to apply so why not use it wisely, college etc etc. That way he can argue that he had problems as a child and as an adult has grown to deal with them - that sort of approach might carry a lot of weight.

Cartainly argue the GP appeal however don't let him write it off as a career if that is what he really wants. It may just take a little longer than he hoped for. At 17 yo, they have very little to go on apart from his mandatory schooling - a few years of 'sqauring himself off' might well make all the difference.

I had med probs on application from a severe head injury however I successfully appealed and went to uni in the interim. Keep plugging away and good luck

6. OP, bear in mind we are in the midst of redundancies. At this point in time the Army can afford to be choosy and not hire anyone that could present problems down the line. There are enough people being discharged for mental health problems, so for them to hire someone who already has had some problems, imagine the mess that could create.

7. RE- whilst I totally agree with you in principle, from my reading of OP, child diagnosed at 12 and to label someone for life at that age surely is not right and surely worth fighting over? Yes, HM Forces can be as picky as they like but at twelve years old, to be black-marked in such a way surely is not public policy?

OP - it's a tricky one and I doubt you'll get any definitive answer on here, or indeed at the AFCO! It may well be worth engaging a solicitor on this one as this 'diagnosis' is possibly going to impact the rest of his life. And NO!, before any arrsers lambast me for advocating suing the military, that is NOT what I am suggesting. It seems that at age 12, a life changing decsion was made on your son's behalf and that should certainly be reviewed in light of current circumstances.

Good luck - a tricky one but persevere.

8. Mental Health fitness is part of the selection criteria, if the problems were severe enough then the military has every right to say no. I doubt very much any legal wrangling could force them to hire someone who may be medically unfit for service.

This is the Army we're taking about, not shelf stacking in Morrisons. We already have a raft of men and women dealing with serious issues bought on by service, do you not think it would be highly irresponsible to hire someone with a recorded history of problems?

9. I totally agree in principle RE- but we're talking a 12 year old boy at time of diagnosis and that's the tricky bit. 16 yes, certainly, plenty of time to have grown up but 12 years old puts them in the first year of seconday school, barely out of shorts. I just feel it is a judgement that could certainly be re-examined on the facts of who the young man is now. He would have been assesed as a child yet now he seems to be carrying it through to adulthood. not nice!

10. I think we've found the new host of 'Ask Emsav'.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Emsav may have cut and pasted herself to death or have nasty RSI.

12. She didn't fall under an artic?

13. She's a truck driving, farming, baking, ferry company, beach owning, 4x4 owning record breaker.

• Like Like x 2
  14. OP,

For what it's worth I'd suggest your son indicates to the AFCO that he does not want to give up on his application but would like the chance to prove himself. He could do this by going away for a year or two and volunteering for e.g. youth work. At almost 17 he could join the cadet forces and next year advance to adult instructor.

If he works hard, keeps his nose clean and gets good reports from his CO, this can only work in his favour. It will also give him the chance to meet regular service people who may be able to put a good word in for him. More to the point, it would also give him the chance to decide if the military life and all that goes with it is best for him.

Good luck.

15. Built like a Bugatti Veyron too, if her self-promotion was anything to be believed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.