Appeal over ex-service homeless

Ex-service personnel are being left homeless because local councils do not prioritise them for housing, campaigners have said.

The Royal British Legion said it had received 1,485 calls from homeless ex-service personnel in the past year.

A campaign has now been started by an army mother who successfully fought to get free postage for overseas troops.

Council officials insist the law ensures they must assist service personnel with their housing needs.

Theresa Theobold, who won her campaign for free post to UK troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, said she was struck by how many ex-servicemen and women suffered problems with housing.

"It's disgraceful that people who served Queen and country are returning home to find they can't get on the council housing ladder," she said.

"Giving them somewhere to live is the least local authorities can do."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7159398.stm

This was one of the earliest issues raised on Arrse

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=4371.html

The quote from the Local Government Association:

"This does not guarantee every former soldier will get a council house because not all authorities have their own housing and the council has to balance the needs of all vulnerable people living in the local area."
This stinks, it appears that the same councils who have happily sold of former housing stock now have no control on how it's own housing policy is implemented, for fear of queue jumpng.

Well done to Theresa Theobold again. With the length of waiting lists, should service pers apply to every council at the minus five-years stage?

I'll try again.

The offending part of the Housing Act of 1996 was supposed to have been repealed, to allow military families to claim rented accomodation in the area they have a connection with.

That ex-sevicemen are being let down by the system is a disgrace.

Thanks guys for the comment .....parcels43 has grown slightly since the freepost campaign.... we now have a website at www.parcels43.co.uk , we launched a new re designed site on Dec 21st and the new campaign was launched on BBC 5 live early on Christmas day.
Please let your fab contacts help me and thousands of others yet again , regards Teresa , please copy and paste the statemnent below and pass to all in your mailbox.
Parcels43 Supporting Our Troops new campaign

(Priority housing 4 x forces) Our brave Troops serve their country and fight for the freedom of others in countries around the globe, while serving their country they have an automatic right to be housed by our Government in MOD properties. On leaving the forces the Troops have a very different fight on their hands.

The new fight is that to keep a roof over their heads, This is shameful, They shouldn't have to fight, or wait to be classed as homeless as many are, afteral they were once part of one of the most elite services in the world.

Most Housing authorities have no special arrangment in place for military personnel leaving service, this area need to be addressed.

Please go to the link below and support our new petition, forward the link on to all in your mail box asking them to also do the same .....Thankyou on behalf of Parcels43 supporting our Troops

http://www.gopetition.com/online/15811.html

Jim Panton, Chief Executive of PoppyScotland put it brilliantly when he said:

"When you join the armed forces you do it on the basis that you know you are giving up your civil rights, like your right to freedom of speech on the understanding that the repayment for giving up those rights is that you will be looked after for the rest of your life, whether you are still serving or not."
(source)

Hi Tereasa,
Your latest idea is brilliant, however Hitback is already covering this area; please see link:-

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=27622.html

Hitback as been working on a Early Day Motion (EDM), for over 2 years, just a suggestion. But, would it be better for you to work in tandem with Hitback?

Otherwise, this would be the second petition, that l as well as many others have signed, in as many years. What we need to do, is ALL get behind and support the EDM, by continually, e-mailing your local as well as other MPs, to get them to acknowledge and support the forces housing EDM.

As the saying goes "two minds are better than one", and we need all the help that we can get.

Thank you themonsstar. However we have all been working on this issue, you as much as any. teresa, I'm very glad the parcel campaign did so well, but the issue of social housing is very complected. The fact that so many civilians suffer from very large waiting lists as well as rejection from local councils will not help the campaign. All our service families want is equal rights to the social housing waiting lists. The Legislation has been in place since 1978, any amendments to that legislation towards armed forces has been very slight over that time frame. The fact it states: there should be a strategic policy in place to help vulnerable people, like ex-armed forces, has gone a miss.

The shortage of social housing in the UK is affect many families and will do for many years. it will take more than the three years me and many others have campaigned to get the issue resolved. Those in power understand the ramifications of this issue. The cost to them and their vision. I hope you you will still be willing to support this issue and are free to contact me at anytime.

Kind regards

Hitback

Bump

elovabloke

ADC
themonsstar said:
Hi Tereasa,
Your latest idea is brilliant, however Hitback is already covering this area; please see link:-

Hitback as been working on a Early Day Motion (EDM), for over 2 years, just a suggestion. But, would it be better for you to work in tandem with Hitback?

Otherwise, this would be the second petition, that l as well as many others have signed, in as many years. What we need to do, is ALL get behind and support the EDM, by continually, e-mailing your local as well as other MPs, to get them to acknowledge and support the forces housing EDM.

As the saying goes "two minds are better than one", and we need all the help that we can get.
To true themonsstar. A combined effort IMHO would be more consturctive and with the large amount of background work that hitback has already done perhaps teresa would consider working with him on this. Mind you as hitback has pointed out in another thread, "It's all going to happen thanks to The Sun".

How do the forces manage without them.

Well done Hitback and Tereasa

May I also add that we need to look at the WHOLE issue - I am currently discussing with my MP the need to ensure ALL Vets' receive Priority Medical Treatment and Dental Treatment for our service people.

The Defence Dental Services has IMHO easily enough bandwidth to treat our families whilst serving - they do so in Germany / Cyprus so why not here. I also believe that this can continue when our service people leave the forces as well.

Signed and will write to ALL local Mp's and MEP to try and get a level playing field across the whole of the UK.

What is the RBL and SSAFA doing about this very emotive issue?

elovabloke

ADC
Shame that this petition isn't attracting the support it deserves.

As PTP mentioned, this was one of the earliest "hot issues" of concern to service pers.
The original petition on the Government petitions site had many more signatures than this one. Like it was suggested earlier a more joined up approach rather than everyone doing their own thing may have a better chance.

Signed and will write to ALL local Mp's and MEP to try and get a level playing field across the whole of the UK.
Already been done.

What is the RBL and SSAFA doing about this very emotive issue?
Involved in the original action with hitback and others.

The PM promised when he became PM that removing the discrimination from the housing act which affects service personnel was to be removed. Perhaps a campaign asking him what progress has been made would be more affective.

Perhaps a wade through the following THREAD may help or at least a squint through the last couple of pages to try and get the guist.

The following has been stated by the Housing Minister today. However, I don't remember the Sun Newspaper getting involved in this issue!

At least the issue has been addressed. I look forward to the legislation changes with baited breath. A big thank you to all on this site and others for their support over the past three years. And a big thanks to the BAFF, RBL,SSAFA and the Guardian news paper.

Regards

Hitback

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article625987.ece

hitback said:
The following has been stated by the Housing Minister today. However, I don't remember the Sun Newspaper getting involved in this issue!

At least the issue has been addressed. I look forward to the legislation changes with baited breath. A big thank you to all on this site and others for their support over the past three years. And a big thanks to the BAFF, RBL,SSAFA and the Guardian news paper.

Regards

Hitback

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article625987.ece
Five initials...............JSHAO.

The FACT is, this glossy advert of a magazine sadly lets down service personnel. lt is funded to inform them, you could argue that it does do precisely that. But, then you could also argue about the relevance of such data that is limited between it's glossy adverts.

The funding allocation of this magazine should be reviewed, or the magazine should review it's own actions. This is a major campaign, and it did not support service personnel when they needed it most.

Thank you to 'The Sun' newspaper, we need all the publicity that we can get. Especially, when the MOD's own media machine, as well as funding could possibly construct something with more of an impact than the above JSHAO; oh, l forgot it is part of the MOD - silly me!

l would like to take this opportunity to put 'HITBACK' forward for the Knighthood, that he so richly deserves; for all his painstakingly hard work. Especially, with the initial thread, as well as keeping this crucial factor in the mainstream, without him we would still be parading around on the dark drill square...........................HUGE, BIG Thank you.............. And arise

Sir 'HITBACK'....................

We, must ALL work together on this. Everyone, thats everyone has a part to play/contribute with this issue. Lets stay positive, and move forward - because if not, we'll lose sight of the main objective.

l would also like to wish, ALL serving personnel & their families, throughout the world, as well as former service personnel & their families. All the BEST for the New Year.

Happy New Year to ARRSE users...........................

The following link is on the BAFF site. It explains the Housing issue in detail and shows the support they have given to this issue. A big thank you for all their support on this campaign.

Regards

Hitback

Clause 270 - Armed forces: homelessness and allocation of housing

775. Clause 270 amends section 199 of the Housing Act 1996, which sets out the circumstances when a person has a local connection with the district of a local housing authority. Housing authorities may take account of whether a person has a local connection with their district when considering the person's priority for an allocation of housing under Part 6 of the 1996 Act or when making inquiries about whether the person is homeless and owed a duty for the purposes of Part 7 of the 1996 Act. The effect of the amendment is that a person in the armed forces will now be able to establish a local connection with a district through residence of choice or employment there, in the same way as a civilian.

http://www.baff.org.uk/baff-social-housing-campaign.htm

Hello Hitback
So sorry I have only just looked in the the site and to see all the comments is fantastic.... I did research prior to the launch, so sorry that I missed the fact you were already doing something.
Parcels43 has just relaunched with the forum and everything has been so busy here. Would be great to try to achieve this together though... things are very slow with the petition take up only 180 names since christmas day.... I launched on BBC 5 live but In hindsight I think christmas day was the wrong time to launch, luckily I have a very understanding husband. I am busy conacting all the HIVES and also have been intouch with the army Chaplains as this latest campaign really will depend on military personnel supporting it and not just friends and extended families as in the postal campaign. I also think I got thrashed on BFBS the other day... but hey ho , the campaign got its 5 mins.
we had lots of MP and MEP support on the parcels campaign, we are in the process of finding out if their support is still with us, many have offered to talk at Rally's/public events if we chose to do them.
We had a pledge of support from the Legion and SSAFA and I will be chatting to them soon.
Haig Homes also is pledging to house any injured service personnel as priority, there is a waiting lists but indications with their managment was favourable, they have hundreds of homes throughout the UK for ex personnel...... please contact me via my website, I look forward to hearing from you regards Teresa

Hi Teresa,

The campaign has been supported by many people and I guess people dont't wish to go over old ground again. The RBL has already been involved in the Homelessness Campaign so has the SSAFA. I have two very large binders with letters from the House of Commons, House of Lords, 10 Downing Street, ODPM/ DCLG, MoD as well as Buckingham Palace. The British Armed Forces Federation has played a key roll with the legal areas of the campaign.

I have placed a copy of the link to the campaign below. If this issue is to be addressed above the current amendments then we must put our heads together. I'm now in full time employment but am willing to organise a meeting to discuss the way ahead with you.

We also need the forum link to parcel43.

Regards

Hitback (Nick)