Appalling conditions at Pirbright

Hello,

My name's Matt and I'm a journalist for BBC Look East. The Defence select Committee is due to issue a report condemning appalling living conditions for the Royal Anglians stationed at the Pirbright Barracks (8 guys to a room in single persons accomodatione etc - the report labels Pirbright as "disgraceful"). Are there any former Vikings who've experienced Pirbright in the past few years who'd be prepared to talk to us about it ?

matt.precey@bbc.co.uk

Apologies if I'm breaking ARRSE forum rules by doing this or unduly annoying forum regulars.

Cheers

Matt

Redbarchetta said:
Hello,

My name's Matt and I'm a journalist for BBC Look East. The Defence select Committee is due to issue a report condemning appalling living conditions for the Royal Anglians stationed at the Pirbright Barracks (8 guys to a room in single persons accomodatione etc - the report labels Pirbright as "disgraceful"). Are there any former Vikings who've experienced Pirbright in the past few years who'd be prepared to talk to us about it ?

matt.precey@bbc.co.uk

Apologies if I'm breaking ARRSE forum rules by doing this or unduly annoying forum regulars.

Cheers

Matt
I think you'll find the DSC was more concerned with the state of SFA (married quarters) in the Pirbright area and conducted a field trip to which they were horrfied, much of this info is covered and in public domain, failing that take a drive round there and see for yourself.

elovabloke

ADC
BB51 said:
Feck off journo scum............
You must be joking.

However I would think this should be approached with some caution in the current climate with possable witch hunts on people spilling the beans (you know your not allowed to) and I think Red an email to Good/Bad Co asking them if they mind your approach is the normal way of doing things.

goon_bde said:
BB51 said:
Feck off journo scum............
why?
Ditto. I'd have thought that one of the functions of ARSSE is to allow this sort of approach to be made, so long as the law and ARSSE's rules aren't broken.

So why the hostility? D'you work for a rival media outlet?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
At least the guy is open and upfront about a) What he is, and b) what he wants. Credit him with that at least.

however, in light of MoD Gagging Orders....

I cannot answer that question.

8 men to a room?

Disgraceful........

Is it not a training regiment?

EX_REME said:
8 men to a room?

Disgraceful........

Is it not a training regiment?[/quote]

No it's not a Training Regiment! You are mixing up Elizabeth Barracks Pirbright (Infantry Bn - currently R ANGLIAN), with Alexander Barracks, Pirbright which IS a Training Regiment (ATR Pirbright).

Pirbright accom was cr*p when I was there many years ago, I can only imagine it has got worse since!

GrumpyGit said:
EX_REME said:
8 men to a room?

Disgraceful........

Is it not a training regiment?[/quote]

No it's not a Training Regiment! You are mixing up Elizabeth Barracks Pirbright (Infantry Bn - currently R ANGLIAN), with Alexander Barracks, Pirbright which IS a Training Regiment (ATR Pirbright).

Pirbright accom was cr*p when I was there many years ago, I can only imagine it has got worse since!
Ok, I apologise then.

oldbaldy

LE
Pirbright!

When I was there, we had 16 in the room. No privacy at all. Interesting toilets. And I have piccies.
Oh and it was 1967, when it was the Guards Depot, any use?

oldbaldy

LE
Just read it is about Elizabeth Barracks. Well I spent time there in 1971. Looks like it hasn't changed.

This Nottingham paper got it wrong..........barracks that is

FORESTERS LIVE IN 'DISGRACEFUL' CONDITIONS

11:00 - 13 September 2007

Notts soldiers are putting up with "disgraceful" accommodation in Surrey, according to a group of MPs.

Elizabeth Barracks in Pirbright, which houses 1st Battalion, Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment, now part of the new Mercian Regiment, was deemed "unacceptable" by the Defence Select Committee yesterday.

A report states that non-commissioned officers "slept eight to a room, with minimal privacy and negligible storage".

"We were told that soldiers from the Royal Anglians on deployment in Afghanistan had more comfortable accommodation than their comrades left behind in Pirbright," the committee said in its report.

The Cavalry Barracks in Hounslow, west London, which houses 1st Battalion, the Royal Anglian Regiment, was also condemned.

The committee believes it could take decades to fix problems because ministers have failed to ensure a clear strategy is in place.

The blunt assessment comes amid growing discontent in the forces over their treatment.

Record numbers in the army and RAF have been choosing to quit early, and the UK military is nearly 6,000 below full strength.

The investigation concluded that some newly-completed accommodation for single personnel was "magnificent".

This Nottingham paper got it wrong..........barracks that is

FORESTERS LIVE IN 'DISGRACEFUL' CONDITIONS

11:00 - 13 September 2007

Notts soldiers are putting up with "disgraceful" accommodation in Surrey, according to a group of MPs.

Elizabeth Barracks in Pirbright, which houses 1st Battalion, Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment, now part of the new Mercian Regiment, was deemed "unacceptable" by the Defence Select Committee yesterday.

A report states that non-commissioned officers "slept eight to a room, with minimal privacy and negligible storage".

"We were told that soldiers from the Royal Anglians on deployment in Afghanistan had more comfortable accommodation than their comrades left behind in Pirbright," the committee said in its report.

The Cavalry Barracks in Hounslow, west London, which houses 1st Battalion, the Royal Anglian Regiment, was also condemned.

The committee believes it could take decades to fix problems because ministers have failed to ensure a clear strategy is in place.

The blunt assessment comes amid growing discontent in the forces over their treatment.

Record numbers in the army and RAF have been choosing to quit early, and the UK military is nearly 6,000 below full strength.

The investigation concluded that some newly-completed accommodation for single personnel was "magnificent".