Appalling conditions at Pirbright

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by matprecey, Sep 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

My name's Matt and I'm a journalist for BBC Look East. The Defence select Committee is due to issue a report condemning appalling living conditions for the Royal Anglians stationed at the Pirbright Barracks (8 guys to a room in single persons accomodatione etc - the report labels Pirbright as "disgraceful"). Are there any former Vikings who've experienced Pirbright in the past few years who'd be prepared to talk to us about it ?

Apologies if I'm breaking ARRSE forum rules by doing this or unduly annoying forum regulars.

2. I think you'll find the DSC was more concerned with the state of SFA (married quarters) in the Pirbright area and conducted a field trip to which they were horrfied, much of this info is covered and in public domain, failing that take a drive round there and see for yourself.
  3. Feck off journo scum............
  4. why?
  5. Give me 10k, and I'll spill the beams :)
  6. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

You must be joking.

However I would think this should be approached with some caution in the current climate with possable witch hunts on people spilling the beans (you know your not allowed to) and I think Red an email to Good/Bad Co asking them if they mind your approach is the normal way of doing things.
  7. Ditto. I'd have thought that one of the functions of ARSSE is to allow this sort of approach to be made, so long as the law and ARSSE's rules aren't broken.

So why the hostility? D'you work for a rival media outlet?

8. Surely it can only help if the standard (or not) of accomodation is brought to a wider audiance?
  9. At least the guy is open and upfront about a) What he is, and b) what he wants. Credit him with that at least.

however, in light of MoD Gagging Orders....

I cannot answer that question.
  10. 8 men to a room?

Is it not a training regiment?
  13. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

When I was there, we had 16 in the room. No privacy at all. Interesting toilets. And I have piccies.
    Oh and it was 1967, when it was the Guards Depot, any use?
  14. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Just read it is about Elizabeth Barracks. Well I spent time there in 1971. Looks like it hasn't changed.