Apologies

Is it unofficerlike to apologise for an Officer to apologise for another that couldn't attend a meeting?
Saw someone get picked up for it today.

Don't see why. Lt Rupert sends his apologies. Saves everyone standing tapping his feet for ten minutes.

Is it unofficerlike to apologise for an Officer to apologise for another that couldn't attend a meeting?

If young Nolan had to dash off again to prevent the Rozgvardia from carting away the brigade's washerwomen, it should be acceptable.

Eyes_Right

Old-Salt
There's nothing on the commissioning scroll about abandoning basic manners and civility. As said above, all that's required is; "General Melchett sends his apologies for not being able to make the O Group, only one of his breakfast eggs wasn't runny, so he had to bugger Chef" is all that's required.

There's nothing on the commissioning scroll about abandoning basic manners and civility. As said above, all that's required is; "General Melchett sends his apologies for not being able to make the O Group, only one of his breakfast eggs wasn't runny, so he had to bugger Chef" is all that's required.
I'm guessing we're not talking cavalry. Gentleman first, officer second.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Picked up by who? I mean, what a ridiculous thing to do.

Thinking about it, surely if the officer concerned knows in advance that he will miss a meeting, it is only proper to apologise in advance him/herself. If the officer concerned did not do that, but asked his bud to convey his apologies at the meeting, that’s a) putting it on his bud, and b) shirking the responsibility to provide adequate notice that he couldn’t make the meeting.

The organiser of the meeting may have deemed Lt Absent to be a key player in whatever the meeting was about, and to find out that Lt Absent won’t be there in the actual meeting might have caused them to postpone the meeting until a time where Lt Absent would be available. Eg Lt A is the unit mountaineering officer and the meeting was about what kit is required for the AT next month.

Then again “I’m afraid I’ll have to apologise for Lt Clumsytwat, he fell down the stairs about an hour ago and is in the MRS” is perfectly acceptable and unavoidable.

Latest Threads