...apologies!

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by T.H.Redders, Feb 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but I'm struggling to find anything of any real value.

I'm on my pilot selection board interview soon, and would like to know if anyone knows of any sites which have up to date information on current AAC units/roles. Also, if there is any other useful material I could be reading up on, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. The official Army site is about as good as it gets;

Army - AAC

and dare I say the wiki aint too far off;

Wiki - AAC

(Edited: for some reason the wiki page isn't appearing as a link. Just search for 'AAC' on wiki.)

Its a bit thin on the ground for useful info but its a start.

There are a few bods on here who have been through the process slightly more recently than me (Pontius was on my flying grading) so are more up to date.

Useful info to take in would be the All Arms Battle, other (non AAC) kit and doctrine (tanks, Inf, Arty etc), a useful bit of current affairs and general knowledge, maths (mental arithmetic), a bit of mechanical knowledge (basics of how the jet engine works, Otto cycle et).

3. Time and distance problems are good to get squared away.

4. Did my selection in the 80's so things must have changed by now....or have they?

5. Unless Colonel Scott is still there................ :wink: :wink: PoF don't you just love it!

6. Blimey, I enjoyed reading that link to AAC. They have come a long way from when I knew them in Kenya tootling about in Beavers. When next I came across them in Aden they had acquired some helicopters, Alouettes? and had some Austers as well.

Seems like a very good mob to join TH Redders. Good luck.

7. I'm not sure if I was clear in my initial question. It's information for the interview that I'm after as I've already passed selection at Cranwell, and Flying Grading.

Is there still a chance of being asked speed/distance/time questions in the interview? I haven't heard of this before now.

Thanks for your help fellas, should give me enough to be getting on with.

8. Mate, check pm although some of it is not applicable now. Because there is a halfwit moderator who will not put a "sticky" fpr wannabees like yourself, I have a standard response I send to people like yourself.

Mods, have a word with yourself!

9. As I suggested in my post, they're really just trying to see if you firstly have an interest in the Corps (not just flying) and secondly if you know what the Corps does (current Ops, past Ops) and how the Corps fits into the big picture. They are looking to see if you have genuine commitment (we'll be spending quite a bit of dosh on you) and if you appear to have the required maturity and common sense to complete flying training. You may have demonstrated the practical aspects of flying selection but they are interested in you and what your level of knowledge is. Don't worry too much about it. Just be honest and make sure you're up to speed on a bit of current affairs (I wouldn't recommend mentioning Jade Goody though) and have a reasonable knowledge of what kit we have and how its employed.

BTW, tell them you think Future Lynx is a bad idea and we should have gone for Blackhawk. ;)