APJI Wings

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by wild_moose, Jul 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Came across my old Osprey book about the Paras 1940-1984 and in the centre picture section is a drawing of a Para NCO wearing APJI wings.

Having never actually seen a pair actually being worn just wondered if these were still issued.

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Parachute Jumping Instructor Assistant.

NSN: 8455-99-973-9147

Badge Qualification. Army. Parachute Jumping Instructor Assistant. Cloth. Embroidered. Blue, white
    and green on khaki. Parachute with wings. Lettering "APJI" within wreath.
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I certainly remember seeing them on a despatcher type chap in Stanley in 1985. He was doing the underslung loads for the food blenders.

5. These are quite common around TA Airborne units and worn predominantly by SNCO's. The APJI course priority was given to PSI's attached to the units as well as TA SNCO's. It was a two week course in duration with the emphasis on balloon despatching. I'm not current with how APJI's factor with the Skyvan, beyond preparing and checking the troops for embarkation.
  6. Further to Alec's post, the APJI course I attended in 2006 was a week's duration - the balloon being out-of-service now - and our role with regard to the Skyvan is, with the addition of writing the manifest, no more than what he's already stated.
  7. Our old RSM wore this badge. (Yorkshire ACF)