APB Reloaded

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Quoth, May 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Did any of you play APB last year? Remember, that title developed by RealTime Worlds at the cost of some £50,000,000 rushed into release by EA (who I think were bank-rolling it) and tanked within 6 weeks? Flawed business model, flawed driving model, flawed in many respects but still, at the end of it, damn good fun.

Well, when RTW went into administration APB was sold for a fairly paltry sum (circa £1,000,000). It is now going to be released as free to play (well, with micro-billing for those that want an advantage) with it going to open beta tomorrow.

May need a decent spec machine as it is RAM hungry but well worth checking out.

For those who don't know it is cops and robbers in a fairly big city with instances of 100 players - think GTA.

Regards,

Q

2. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Cheers for the heads-up. I always fancied giving this a shot but it had keeled over before I got around to it. F2P games always worry me, but I can at least give it a go!

3. Bruno,

If you do give it a go I'm playing on the Obeya european server as a criminal. Free-to-play gives you two character slots so you can have both an enforcer and criminal character should you so wish.

If you fancy starting an Arrse clan drop me an invite.

Q

4. I'm on Obeya if you want to setup a clan?.

5. Any suggestions for clan name?

For criminals - Arrse bandits?

Enforcers - CSI Arrse, Arrse Police, Arrse Inspectors?

;-)

Q

6. I personally play Enforcers more :) so .... Arrse Plod?

What's your char name(s)?

7. I take it you've been playing the closed beta?

Character name is the same as on here - Quoth.

Q

8. Ye got into CB quick, will be on this evening so will add you!

9. BrunoNoMedals

They've delayed the open beta release so I won't be on quite yet!

10. It was because of a bug where it'd kick players after 1-2hours gaming, as soon as it is fixed the OB will re-open

11. BrunoNoMedals

Well I've got it downloaded and I've signed up for an account, but apparently the login server is down. I assume that's because Open Beta hasn't actually gone live yet? Let me know when it's up and I'll get stuck in.

12. In case you hadn't spotted this has now gone open Beta. I've had internet issue for the past week so haven't been able to play.

Unfortunately, with the influx of open beta players there is a very nasty queue system on European servers. If you do decide to give it a go choose the Obeya server.

Q

13. I agree Qouth, the queue system is a royal pain in the arrse! Supposedly Premium players skip the queues, not sure though.

14. A mate of mine (non-premium) logs in and skips the queue!

I'm still trying to establish what settings are allowing him to do this.

The really annoying part of the queue is how woefully inaccurate the time estimates are. Last night it estimated 25 minutes and took about two hours. :-(

Q

15. I've only ever skipped queues once now I have nearly an hour wait to get in, I'm not aware of US servers having this feature .... The issue is when you do get in loads of districts aren't even full.