Apaches vulnerable to non-lethal weapons!

Blatantly nicked from pprune
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005530666,00.html

ARMY chopper pilots have been downed by farmers armed with TORCHES.
Fed-up locals laid an ambush at a spot the £40million Apache choppers were using as a target.

The pilots were so alarmed by the “attack” at Long Crichel,
Dorset, that they aborted their mission and returned to base.

The choppers from Middle Wallop, Hants, are training for the conflict in Iraq.

Lets just hope those bad boys out in the sandy places don't use anything 'sharp'.

SS

And to be fair, when your trying to train, at night when its most fecking dangerous, to have the cnuts who you are trying to protect sneak one up on you is completely wnak!

Ok, its funny that they shine torches etc, but when they are being attacked by mr bad guy and asking why they are not being defended. If we turned around and said well we would have sent the helicopter, but you wouldn't let him train, so we can't do it - they would kick up a hell of a fuss!!!

OS

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Or a more serious note
Who's bonnier, Jemma or Charmer?

Oneshot said:
And to be fair, when your trying to train, at night when its most fecking dangerous, to have the cnuts who you are trying to protect sneak one up on you is completely wnak!

Ok, its funny that they shine torches etc, but when they are being attacked by mr bad guy and asking why they are not being defended. If we turned around and said well we would have sent the helicopter, but you wouldn't let him train, so we can't do it - they would kick up a hell of a fuss!!!

OS
Sorry oneshot, I missed the part on how Apaches combat suicide bombers!

On an even more serious note, even if training, aren't you supposed to vary routes in order to avoid the likelihood of an ambush?

Oh yes and avoid upsetting the locals!!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Can you fit Apaches with Night Sun?

Give the locals a taste of their own medicine?

Fang_Farrier said:
Or a more serious note
Who's bonnier, Jemma or Charmer?
Throw me my spurs, I'll ride them both hard for a couple of hours and let you know. :wink:

It is an offence under the ANO to endager an aircraft.

ENDANGERING SAFETY OF AN AIRCRAFT AND PERSONS THEREIN

Article 55, Air Navigation (No. 2) Order 1995 creates the offence of a person recklessly or negligently acting in a manner likely to endanger an aircraft or any person therein.
Yes, the rules also suggest that aviators should take all steps necessary to avoid people and livestock etc but we all know that isn't always possible and we try as hard as we can to avoid these areas.

The fcuking yokels should have been locked up and their festering animals chucked in a lime pit. As for that horror 'Jemma', she should concentrate on paying for her own education as opposed to expecting the MOD to fork out for her flea bitten nag.

These types pish me right off. No doubt a bunch of Guardian reading lentil eaters that complain about just about anything regarding their 'freedom'. Cnuts.

That is quite correct MLF, however I believe that the ANO offence of 'ENDANGERING SAFETY OF AN AIRCRAFT AND PERSONS THEREIN', relates to persons actually on board the aircraft that is being 'endangered'.

SilsoeSid said:
Oneshot said:

OS
Sorry oneshot, I missed the part on how Apaches combat suicide bombers!

On an even more serious note, even if training, aren't you supposed to vary routes in order to avoid the likelihood of an ambush?

Oh yes and avoid upsetting the locals!!
Who the fcuk mentioned suicide bombers. I'm talking about defence in general. Say some nasty army decided to try and invade or said civvie is in another country and gets captured and needs a rescue.

At the end of the day this country, and by the sounds of it yourself included, needs to realise that the world is a nasty place and there are people who put their neck on the line to keep it safe for them. These people need to train to do that in order that they are always at the peak of their skills. This may involve some things that keep joe public awake now and again, small price to pay for freedoma nd security. If you can't deal with it either move away from the camp perimiter or move out the country! Either way STOP FECKING WHINGING!

OneShot is now going to chill out with a beer!

SilsoeSid said:
That is quite correct MLF, however I believe that the ANO offence of 'ENDANGERING SAFETY OF AN AIRCRAFT AND PERSONS THEREIN', relates to persons actually on board the aircraft that is being 'endangered'.
Sid. It is an offence to endanger an aircraft weather you are in it or not! I believe a farmer was prosecuted for doing a similar thing a few years ago.

well apart fromthe only direct threat to the uk is pissed off locals comiting sucide and taking anyone near them along for the ride. So apache hardly going to stop it is it .Helicopters are probably the most annoying thing that flies around if mod cant keep the
locals onside what can they expect . though chain gunning sounds fun .

The Lord Flasheart said:
SilsoeSid said:
Sid. It is an offence to endanger an aircraft weather you are in it or not! I believe a farmer was prosecuted for doing a similar thing a few years ago.
That may be an argument best settled whenever it may reach court, however;

The Air Navigation Order 2005
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20051970.htm

Endangering safety of an aircraft
73. A person shall not recklessly or negligently act in a manner likely to endanger an aircraft, or any person therein.

Endangering safety of any person or property
74. A person shall not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property.

Perhaps they would cancel themselves out!?

:wink:
SS

Its a case of proving negligence. All the usual stuff regarding the crew....properly authed, lawful and cleared area etc......= Not negligent.
Yokels setting a 'trap' to alter the aircrafts course...etc = Fucktardedness.

A rumour from the other rumour site suggests it was yobs not Farmer Giles and his inbred farmhands who shone the torches. Either way, they should all be placed in an air free tomb and dropped into the English Channel.

In the 80's there were several incidents of locals shining high power lights at aircraft landing at Aldergrove. The solution......have a whistling chicken leg (lights out) fly in formation with aircraft on final and if the idiot civvies shone the light .....KAPOW.....they got hit with the nightsun beam. Needless to say, it didnt last too long when it was found that "little Jimmy" was shining his torch out of his bedroom window!!!!! :lol:

Seriously though, these idiot farmers with their very high power lights can really screw-up night vision which in turn could lead to loss of control, in the hover, at night. Perhaps the current aviation world should restrict their activities to the Plain, at night, to minimise the impact on the local idiots.

I would have thought the answer was easy.....fly somewhere else

CONNEACH said:
The solution......have a whistling chicken leg (lights out) fly in formation with aircraft on final and if the idiot civvies shone the light .....KAPOW.....they got hit with the nightsun beam.
Not sure how that would stand up if the residents complained!!

We did a similar thing when a chavmeister was shining a torch out of a block of flats at arriving a/c at BHX.
We didn't follow the a/c down, we just sat the other side of the runway taping the area and when the torch appeared we were able to zoom in and catch the blighter, rewind the tape and positively identify the balcony from which it came.

A knock on door seemed to solve the problem, although I remember that the occupant denied ever owning a torch!!
Yea right!

Occupational hazard, light shining, round these parts, but then again we don't use NVIS here.........yet!
Again a knock on the door and a word in the shell like is all it takes.
I can see it now, "Jimmy, get down those stairs !!!!!".

:lol:
SS