• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Apaches and Gazelles first attacks on Libya

It says Gazelles in the Article hasn't User Fantassin said that the French Tigers are not yet equipped with Hellfire's and so cannot be used for heavy strikes in Libya or something like that.

C

cloudbuster

Use the Chicken Leg for close recce, then the burning airframes can be used for target indication.

AAC a/c lauched off RN platforms ............. I can see the bean counters thinking ...... this is the way forward - bin the RAF and join up the Army and RN to form a single force called BritFor inc!

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
did anyone catch the indie or torygraph article on the brits and french sharing one of the QE class to use as a training/maintenance cover contingency type thing. Apparently the french navy were quite shocked at what cameron has done.

did anyone catch the indie or torygraph article on the brits and french sharing one of the QE class to use as a training/maintenance cover contingency type thing. Apparently the french navy were quite shocked at what cameron has done.
Of course they are! Can you imagine Jacques having to eat les merde that passes for English scran?

C

cloudbuster

AAC a/c lauched off RN platforms ............. I can see the bean counters thinking ...... this is the way forward - bin the RAF and join up the Army and RN to form a single force called BritFor inc!
How about calling them the Royal Marines?

Attack helicopters flying off LPHs delivering strike power.

Are we here because:

a) the capability that the attack helicopters/LPH offer is exactly what is needed in theatre; or
b) we'd prefer to send a big stike carrier with proper fast jets, but haven't got any, so have sent what we have got; or
c) we asked the RAF to up their game, but they are useless and refused; or
d) the RN are under-tasked and in need of some good PR to justify the dosh for their QEs; or
e) it's the same old story with HMG pursuing incoherent and failing foreign policy and asking the military to band aid together some sort of 'victory'.

Discuss.

T

Tinman74

Are we here because:

a) the capability that the attack helicopters/LPH offer is exactly what is needed in theatre; or
b) we'd prefer to send a big stike carrier with proper fast jets, but haven't got any, so have sent what we have got; or
d) the RN are under-tasked and in need of some good PR to justify the dosh for their QEs; or
e) it's the same old story with HMG pursuing incoherent and failing foreign policy and asking the military to band aid together some sort of 'victory'.

Discuss.
As with the Harriers, the navy are having to rely on an other service to provide strike assets.

Are we here because:

Discuss.
Seems to be some kind of plan in place as the Apache force knew it was going before april .....

What does the RAF do that the Royal Navy or Army can't or hasn't done? I'm just curious. Thinking about it, I can't see what the RAF brings to the table when the Army/RN can do their job and more.

Are we here because:

Discuss.
Fortunatley/unfortunatley (delete as necessary) We are quite good at lashing things together it's one of our strengths. It usually provides us with an advantage in the field and a disadvantage when it comes to bean counters and short sighted governments.

As usual trying to fight on a shoestring, an apache will get brassed up and be forced to land or worse, govt will flap that they have AH flying without significant boots on the ground in support/to support and hey presto, ABTF gets tasked and we get embroiled In another scrap miles from home, under resourced and stretched to breaking point again the military will do their job as best they can under the circumstances and as a thankyou when they return they will face cuts that will be made to pay for the whole debacle.

T

Tinman74

What does the RAF do that the Royal Navy or Army can't or hasn't done? I'm just curious. Thinking about it, I can't see what the RAF brings to the table when the Army/RN can do their job and more.
Air Superiority, Strategic Lift, AEW, Long Range Strike Missions,

Air Superiority, Strategic Lift, AEW, Long Range Strike Missions,
Those are merely capabilities that they possess due to the hardware they have available though. Are you saying that the Army would be unable to undertake these missions if they had the planes and training avaliable?

Edit: I'm willing to accept I'm wrong, and there's a place for the RAF, but I can't see why the RAF's assets can't just be split between the Army and Navy, which would no doubt eliminate a large amount of "unneeded" departments that exist, freeing up money.

Latest Threads