"Apache rescue mission" Booties go unrewarded.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AbbotAle, Sep 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't know if there is a current thread on this topic, if there is MODS feel free to delete.

Spoke to a work colleague today who is ex RM, and he showed me the Sept issue of Navy News, more specifically a letter in the Navy news from another ex Booty with reference to the "apache rescue mission".

With regard to the Apache mission in Afghanistan, would somebody please explain why the four Army Air Corps aircrew and the Royal Engineer Captain involved were awarded DFCs and MCs but that the three Royal Marines who clung to the side of the Apache recieved nothing?
    Those Royal Marines, one of whom had been in the RM for only 14 months, had earlier taken part in a major assault on that Taleban stronghold and had to retreat under withering fire, yet they volunteered to fly back into that compound by strapping themselves onto the outside of two Apaches, such was their determination to rescue their fellow Royal Marine and friend
    Why have those gallant Royal Marines been left out of the awards?
    Dr L.A. (ex RM)

The MOD told Navy news:
    "Nominations for operational honours are initiated by local commanders in the theatre of operations.
    They are then considered up through the operatioal chain of command. This process ensures that full account is taken of the perspectives of both those on the ground and others with a wider, impartial view.
    Because of this requirement to maintain the confidentiality of the honours and awards process, the Ministry of Defence will not discuss specific instances.
    The actions of all those involved in the dramitic recovery of L/Cpl Ford were, however carefully considered.
    Operational awards were granted to four personnel involved in the incident, together with a number of commendations awarded by the Commander of Joint Operations".

This is not intended to be a flame thread, I personally believe all involved in this action deserve an MC at least, I just can't believe that the Booties got no more than commendations.
  2. It was all in a days work for the Marines.....
  3. The trouble is, I expect almost every soldier and Marine deserves an MC for their part in that tour (and those before and after). Whilst their actions that day were extremely brave, and attained a lot of media coverage, I expect there were a massive number of other instances which merited equal recognition.

Obviously, this doesn't explain why the RM got nothing, but I expect it has to do with the Army & RM CoC's seeing this incident from a different angle (Army as a unique incident, RM as almost "another day at work").
  4. The booties will be legends forever, but they surely deserve a gong as well?
  5. I agree with the posts so far, they deserve the MC at least. :?
  6. But that's just it. So does every other marine on the tour. It's unfair to deny them it, but it's also unfair to give it to them just because this incident got media coverage and others didn't...

I'm not playing down what they did by the way.
  7. I see your point "RFUK".

Also, I would'nt've suggested you were playing down what they did.
  8. Were they not even MiD....?! Does seem a bit harsh..very harsh in fact.
  9. Given the s**tstorms this government has gotten the forces into, taking into account make us do more for less in situations where vital kit is unavailable and yet we soldier on with a stupid grin and the usual banter - I'd suggest every man (ok and woman) in uniform who's set foot on sand in the middle east deserves a medal.
  10. Yeah, surely an MiD at least would have been forthcoming.

Strapping oneself to an Attack Helicopter in the fashion they did is not "just another day at work" surely?
  11. yer is strapping your self you to an appache something you learn in your marine training?
  12. I believe it's covered in week 7 of the course at Lympstone, just after the 'leaping over tall buildings in a single bound' module and before they learn to make bullets bounce off their chest.
  13. If every day you're assaulting enemy positions, calling in airstrikes, and a whole range of other ridiculously dangerous things, I expect strapping yourself to an apache isn't quite such a big deal.

Still, having thought about it, there is documented proof that this act took place and footage in the public domain of it happening. To hold back on awards seems a bit daft, particularly when the AAC were decorated.

14. Apparently they would of received a MD until the Health and saftey executive decreed their Risk assesment paperwork for that assignment was not upto the required standard!
    I'm sure medals were the last thing they thought about when volunteering for the task, if this happened the Op Granby they would of received a Mid at LEAST!
  15. msr

msr LE

I gather the mission wasn't entirely, er, 'authorised'.