APACHE Lean Pulse-Line

APACHE Lean

  • Good Thing!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad Thing!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whats Lean?

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
#2
Oh you poor sods.

Us proud wearers of the coveted blue/grey have had LEAN and Pulse Lines for a while now, some units are reverting to how it used to be and others are putting their fingers in their ears and saying "la la la".
 
#3
" Subject to Spares availablity"
My my heard this tale before.
Lean, on time, yeah Good for a civvy production line but for a fighting Biteing army ?
No The military in time of war, Needs Fat on the system to replace all the kit the Enemy will wipe off the board.
But of course sucessive Government have slimmed the system down and cum crunch time it will be Poor TOM who pays the price and that will not be accountable on a profit and loss system.
john
 
#5
Mr_C_Hinecap said:
It works rather well for the Harrier - far greater availability. I've heard nothing about the rest.
Boll**ks does it, how many fubar'd harriers before they realised that moving them when not trestled correctly screws the airframe :roll: (they hid that well)
Have been working a pulse line for the last seven weeks and it totally sucks. great for manufacturing, but not maintenance as no two aircraft are exactly the same, so tooling and spares are always a problem. :evil:
 
#6
What happens in the "black hole" pulse line. Middle wallop managed to get 3 ac back online in the time pulse did 1. Know what you mean bout it sucks. Not seeing the end product doesnt give a lot of job satisfaction. The MWallop guys are on their 4th 300hr service, the first one required an engine and MG box as well as the 300/600 service
 
#7
Is the fact that ACM, being a 50% Westlands company, has access to spares off the Westlands shelf that may be declared as unavailable to the military and therefore 7 Bn, anything to do with this?

Couple of weeks ago 7 Bn had 17 airframes in the pulse line as opposed to the 9 they are supposed to have. Allegedly they cant get them through pulse 6 which is airtesting for a lack of spares etc.
 
#8
No, only "managers" are wastelands, spares wise they are still 673 Sqn and subject to the same spares issues as any other non tac unit.

They are not a second line unit and with the manpower available still field 8 out of 12 all day every day and have to sort all U/S cabs not just 300hr.

PULSE don't work, go back to the old fashioned "1 ac 1 team"
 
#9
Don't be too quick to blame 'Lean' and 'pulse lines'. No spares/tools means pulse or 1 ac 1 team will still fail.

Not to sure about the Wallop v Wattisham thing, but when I spoke to them last year they could get spares out of Westlands using the old boy network.
 
#11
Not quite true but hey, don't let rumours.etc............. The main point is PULSE is pants, works in manufacturing but not in maintenance. The guys at Wattisham are so far behind, not their fault, that the line is already moving plans to the right by quite a margin.
 
#12
I heard that wattisham would struggle just to turn the Herrick cabs around quick enough.
As for pulse not working, remember the IPT did not have enough tools/GSE etc to equip 7bat to run 1 Ac 1 team, so the death star was onto a loser from the start.
I would like to say the guys on the pulse worked hard to meet the outdates when I was there, glad I got away from the place. Too much time was being spent at work not enough at home, remember this is a second line tour, somewhere to get your breath back before going 1st line and on op's. You can't keep pushing guys to work harder all the time eventually they will put there papers in and go and work for SERCO.
 
#13
"You can't keep pushing guys to work harder all the time eventually they will put there papers in and go and work for SERCO"

fair call pongo_on_holiday, was at the banana the other day heading towards the clothing store to practice my de-kitting technique and bumped into a shed load of blokes in blue coveralls who were all ex-reme apache techs, left the army on the friday and were snapped up on the monday by serco. they all said the same thing, working for serco means they can do a job they enjoy, for better money without the army crap.

also it seems that techs on the shop floor who work on apache are being disadvantaged as none have picked up their artisan for a few years.
 
#14
pongo_on_holiday said:
Don't be too quick to blame 'Lean' and 'pulse lines'. No spares/tools means pulse or 1 ac 1 team will still fail.

Not to sure about the Wallop v Wattisham thing, but when I spoke to them last year they could get spares out of Westlands using the old boy network.
This is not a knee jerk reaction, it's a lot of years experience talking. Pulse lines don't work for this type of maint' for numerous reasons. It does work for production but usually only because people have got into a rut and Lean identifies the "ruts".

Middle Wallop most certainly do not have a better or dodgy spares supply, if anything it's worse because of location; most of the spares are at Wattashambles and those that are at Westlands sail past Wallop on the way up there only to be then sent back after a few days of stacker pontification.
 
#15
beaker said:
Is the fact that ACM, being a 50% Westlands company, has access to spares off the Westlands shelf that may be declared as unavailable to the military and therefore 7 Bn, anything to do with this?

Couple of weeks ago 7 Bn had 17 airframes in the pulse line as opposed to the 9 they are supposed to have. Allegedly they cant get them through pulse 6 which is airtesting for a lack of spares etc.
ACM use the MoD's very slow PFDS (Priority Freight Distribution System) supply system just like all the other "Army" units. Any dodgy practices used to get spares are just the same dodgy ones used by all FAAcO's. There is a pecking order when two units want the same spare but that's decided by the DSU's ILOC and I doubt whether ACM get priority over the DSU from them!!??
The pulse 6 probs are usually caused by lack of experience, both AH and general.
Bottom line is, civvies are better because they have more experience and spend all their time working on aircraft. Let's face it; only when you are an experienced squaddie do you become a civvie!!
 
#16
blueheart said:
ACM use the MoD's very slow PFDS (Priority Freight Distribution System) supply system just like all the other "Army" units. Any dodgy practices used to get spares are just the same dodgy ones
Is that why the squadrons at Wattisham never get those boxes of Flight Info Pubs with "URGENT - Flight Safety Critical" delivered until the old stuff has been out of date for at least a couple of weeks?
 
#17
Blueheart I did not say lean was a good or bad thing, I was trying to point out we were short on spares, this will stop maint whether you pulse it or not. Spares is the big problem with this cab at the moment.
As for wallop getting spares that was from the Irish chap who works in there FACCO, and that was September last year.

The pulse was setup when the flying rate on op’s was at least half what it is now, and the robberies by the field force were a lot less. If we were pushing the cabs through an old style bay system would we be any better off as it would have used the same data? I doubt it, spares would still be the issue.

Civvies would be better running the pulse line’s (or bays) as they stay in work more hours per week than squaddies, after all they don’t have all that military stuff to do which gets in the way of aircraft production.
 
#18
Spares are at a premium now as all the cabs in storage have been raped (cannibalised I think is the proper word........lol) Each to his own on servicing but if a normal line was in op then you could put the bits from a cab being serviced onto the cabs that need them and roll through cannibalisation that way. At the end of the day we are here for 1 reason, to give the sky gods the cabs they ask for/need to complete their tasks.
 
#19
victoriandad, do you not think the pulse line is being robbed? surely the pulse line gives you the best possible robbery solution anyway, after all the cabs going through the middle pulses don’t need the critical spares.

I agree we are here to provide the cabs, but give me the spares so i've at least got a fighting chance of geting an 'S' cab on the line.
 
#20
pongo_on_holiday said:
Blueheart I did not say lean was a good or bad thing, I was trying to point out we were short on spares, this will stop maint whether you pulse it or not. Spares is the big problem with this cab at the moment.
As for wallop getting spares that was from the Irish chap who works in there FACCO, and that was September last year.

The pulse was setup when the flying rate on op’s was at least half what it is now, and the robberies by the field force were a lot less. If we were pushing the cabs through an old style bay system would we be any better off as it would have used the same data? I doubt it, spares would still be the issue.

Civvies would be better running the pulse line’s (or bays) as they stay in work more hours per week than squaddies, after all they don’t have all that military stuff to do which gets in the way of aircraft production.
PonH, spares have been a problem from day one with AH, but as always the boys manage to keep things going regardless. I come back to the experience point though, a lot of the spares demanded by the DSU/pulse aren't really needed. Experienec would allow many of these "U/S" items to be assessed as "S", there are plenty of examples I could quote but won't. ACM suffer exactly the same shortages as everybody else but continue to turn out ac in half the time as the DSU pulse line, why is that do you think? It's not because they have any secret spares supplies or any secret links back to Westlands it's because they have the experience to make informed engineering judgements and decisions. In other words, they don't blindly follow the IETP!!!!
I do honestly believe that pulse has taken us backwards and that bays would work better. The guys need targets and incentives to go with personal pride in what they're doing. Pride in what you're doing is not quantifiable or measurable by the bosses but by God it counts for a lot. Give a permanent crew, mil or civ, a target out date and they'll find ways to achieve it; especially if the incentive is that beat it and you'll get those days off. The pulse allows people to find excuses, there's no spares, we haven't got enough people etc etc. They don't "own" the ac and so don't generally give a monkies.
There was a time when ACM were at the top of the spares food chain, that's because they were the only AH unit actually in operation. That all changed a long time ago, and well before Sep last year. there is still a pecking order but ACM aren't top I can assure you!!
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top