Apache Down

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Aunties website is reporting that an Apache has made a "controlled landing" after the crew smelled fumes in the cockpit.

Can't provide a link as I'm still trying to get to grips with my new laptop :x

oldbaldy

LE

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Many thanx for the linky OB

When I saw the thread title I thought fcuk & had visions of a tradegy in the sandpit. Thank fcuk it was just a routine precautionary landing & nobody was hurt.

LT

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Apologies for the "red top" header.

I suppose that my main concern is that some bright spark in Main Building will see this as an opportunity to ground the entire fleet for safety checks.

It must be a reeeeeally slow news day today. :roll:

What next? 'Lynx has a minor AFCS snag shocka!'

If that's the case, the tabloids would have 300 pages of the stuff every day.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Aunty Stella, I very nearly laughed out loud....

Mr_Fingerz said:
Apologies for the "red top" header.

I suppose that my main concern is that some bright spark in Main Building will see this as an opportunity to ground the entire fleet for safety checks.
Should be a few years before that happens, just see how long it took them to announce the grounding of the Nimrods.

"It was going quite slowly - it looked fairly controlled.
I loved that bit, talk about spinning it. Err the thing was under control at all times, nugget.

What's up for tonight, Truck pulls over on M1 shocker, maybe they could have a foreigner driving it. :roll:

oldbaldy

LE
Aunty Stella said:
When AAC officials arrived at the scene, their first comments were

"who the fcuk let Flash drive?"
Barsteward. I had coffee. :D

In other more shocking and dramatic national news, i stubbed my toe 8)

controlled landing? isn't that how they always land them? or are there uncontrolled landings? maybe AI flying?

BRMoore said:

controlled landing? isn't that how they always land them? or are there uncontrolled landings? maybe AI flying?
Occasionally there are uncontrolled landings, they are known as crashes. :oops:

Ord_Sgt said:
BRMoore said:

Depends who is flying it. I've seen many uncontrolled landings where the chap flying it thinks its entirely normal.

Student carrying out a ropey landing, the QHI remarks "fuck me sir, were we shot down???"

As they say, any landing you can walk away from is a good one. Any landing where you can use the aircraft again is a great one.

Ord_Sgt said:
Or flying with a pilot whose nickname was EOG, Engines Off G****.

Probably the best pilot I ever flew with, but had a strange habit of choosing the Lynx that was going to have an engine failure, several times.

Also the only man I ever had to wake up in a HLS the morning after a crashout, still in the cab and in helmet and flying suit and he had absolutely no idea how he got there. BAOR's fault for calling an Active Edge during his drinking hours :eek:

I'm sure some of the older and bolder know him.

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Depends who is flying it. I've seen many uncontrolled landings where the chap flying it thinks its entirely normal.

Student carrying out a ropey landing, the QHI remarks "fuck me sir, were we shot down???"
Or a sprog officer :)

I remember being back seat in a floppy with a certain (then) fcuking good egg of a Lt named Niel D who is (or was the last time I looked) the CO of 4 regt. I thought we were on a pogo stick. We'd always been told they got extra for each skids on, but 4 times in one landing was taking the p1ss :)

Aunty Stella said:
Ord_Sgt said:
Or flying with a pilot whose nickname was EOG, Engines Off G****.

Probably the best pilot I ever flew with, but had a strange habit of choosing the Lynx that was going to have an engine failure, several times.

Also the only man I ever had to wake up in a HLS the morning after a crashout, still in the cab and in helmet and flying suit and he had absolutely no idea how he got there. BAOR's fault for calling an Active Edge during his drinking hours :eek:

I'm sure some of the older and bolder know him.
Mate, that’s a bit of a generalisation.

Acurate though :)

There is a clip knocking around of a Lynx making a 'very interesting' landing in Telic. It was that good, the ADG staggered out of the cab with a very hurt back. Good captaincy from the aircraft commander meant this didn't give him the clue he'd had a hard landing and just fecked off back to base. Would have been nice if he'd reported it but he just waited until the Merlin crewman released the vid clip a few weeks later. Lovely bit of integrity. :roll: