Apache and Apache Dawn

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by spike7451, Sep 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Seen these on the book shelves at work the other day & toying with buying them on pay day.Can any of you chaps tell me if they are any good?
  2. Apache was all over the Sun newspaper the other day but haven't read it myself so can't reccomend it. I am currently reading Apache Dawn by Damien Lewis which is the same sort of book as Apache- well worth a read
  3. Having finished Apache Dawn in less than wee I can recommend it highly. Very pleased to see them praising the work of the groundies, and also showing them the gun tapes at the end of missions, good drills those chaps!!

Also on my book shelf are:

3 Para - Patrick Bishop
    Sniper One - Dan Mills
    Target Basra - Mike Rossiter
    Eight Lives Down - Major Chris Hunter
    My War - Colby Buzzell (not great but ok)
    Looking For Trouble - Gen. Sir PDB :) Great book, the bloke is a hard arrse!
    Also Commando? Cant remeber the title I have lent it to a friend, all in all, some excellent reads, and will be buying Apache (As an ex groundie, one has too).

Have seen more and more book written by serving an ex regulars who have served in the sandpits, there is also a book out from the RAF wallahs, Harrier squadrons in Afganistan, I flicked through the lowdown page and am ure that they were in the Stan at the same time as 662 Sqn AAC and are referenced in Apache Dawn in places.

Will also be purchasing that, as I am now defecting to the RAuxAF as god forbid.......Gunner in the Regiment....ok ok you are allowed one dig, and one dig only ;)

Happy reading chaps :)
  4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

If so is it worth getting?
  5. Not a bad read,good to see plenty of praise for the groundies.Have now to read Ed Macy's "Apache" for compatison which is set just before this book.
  6. It is. Offers a good insight into their daily lives, even when not screaming over the 'stan blowing stuff up. :D
  7. Apache by Ed Macey is a cracking read.

He was one of the Aircraft commanders involved in the rescue / recovery of Matthew Ford and his account is gripping.

No wonder he and Geordie got an MC each
  8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Agree with MDN on this one! 8O
    Bought it last week & it's very a 'revealing' look into their tour.Well written.
    Got '3 Commando' & 'Harrier' on the reading list next.
  9. Definitely worth reading - devoured it in a few days. I did have to smile at the bits describing Apache training as being as tough as Selection. Don't get me wrong, they have to be genuinely excellent pilots, and only a few are that good and get to be chosen. It's just that the two are different. Other than that, a very good account of a very challenging tour. Good to see due recognition given to the ground crew - sounds like they work their nads off. Oh, and I did like the bit about the US Apache crew... Looking forward to reading Apache next.
  10. Ed MAcey, when not protected by his 'author name' would know.

When I was a young lance jack, he was a Para Regt transferee fullscrew pilot, and quite possibly the most switched on, professional soldier I'd ever ever met.

When it came to light what exactly had happened at the Fort with Matthew Ford (Muttley told me) I asked who the other three crew were, as I knew it had to be 'Ed' It came as no surprise my thoughts were true.

Geordie, was a quiet unasuming gentleman as a Tom, never gobby, always with a dry smile, always with his sense of humour and sense of calm in tact, well thought of, popular and if I'm honest not someone you'd expect to be dismounting a parked up Apache, under fire and doing what they did and well deserving of a Military Cross.

Am humbled and privelidged to be able to consider them both friends.

If anyone was in a position to make comparisons to selection I'd argue it was Macy, he's very much been there seen it, done it and swamped all over the T-shirt factory wall.
  11. It wasn't meant in anyway as disrespectful - simply Selection always seems to be quoted as a benchmark, and that the nature of the challenges in Apache pilot training I assume are very different, even if they are no less exacting. As for the action at the Fort, I remain gob smacked by the extraordinary skill, determination and bravery of all involved.
  12. I've read both books, I would say Ed Macy's book is the one to get, unless you specifically want to read both. Apache Dawn seemed over dramatised and had less detail than Ed Macys book.
  13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It's on me list - seen both in WHSmiths, and was more inclined to get Ed Macy's book, but stupid me, I got that bl00dy walty book by Peter Mercer instead.

Consider me chastised.
  14. I bought it today out of intrest about the units, and am about a quarter through but still finding it hard to get into it proper. Seems a bit dramatised and I'd probably enjoy it more if it was written by one of the pilots themselves
  15. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Another good one is "Joint Force Harrier",I'm about 1/4 of the way thru it,good so far & on par with Macy's one.