Apache AAM

Mattb

LE
As far as I understood it, there has been talk about fitting AAMs (particularly Stinger, Starstreak and Sidewinder) to Apaches since the late Palaeolithic period, with nothing ever coming of it - tests in the late 90s seemed to work and then all quiet.

But looking at the British Army website (Aircraft) Apache now carries 4 (unspecified) air-to-air missiles...

Is this a new development, or just a cock-up by the website people?

As far as I understood it, there has been talk about fitting AAMs (particularly Stinger, Starstreak and Sidewinder) to Apaches since the late Palaeolithic period, with nothing ever coming of it - tests in the late 90s seemed to work and then all quiet.

But looking at the British Army website (Aircraft) Apache now carries 4 (unspecified) air-to-air missiles...

Where does it say it is anything other than an anti-tank platform?

LML? That has an anti-aircraft capability...

Click on Apache, click on Armament - it lists all of the weapons.
Without detail. I see your point. Looks like a bit of PR puff.

Having never worked with Apache, is there the possibility of, as they work in pairs. One being armed for top cover in a Peer conflict?

Having never worked with Apache, is there the possibility of, as they work in pairs. One being armed for top cover in a Peer conflict?

I (very) vaguely recall that way back in the concept stage it was expected to be sharing a battlefield with Mi-24's and the idea was that it be armed to defeat that

anglo

LE
If Apache, crewed by 2x full screw, can take on Mig-31 why do we need Typhoon and F-35?
Take your internet browsing device attach note saying "I am to stupid to own this device",
pack it in a box, address the box to the manufacturer of said device and
post it

Take your internet browsing device attach note saying "I am to stupid to own this device",
pack it in a box, address the box to the manufacturer of said device and
post it
Ok.

And whilst I'm doing that, you can take a few minutes to carve the words "bitter, ironic posting by someone who has seen politicians use extra capacity on new platforms as an excuse to bin spending on vital Service capabilities" on to a big stone and shove it up your arse you utter throbber.

How does that sound sweetie pie?

Ok.

And whilst I'm doing that, you can take a few minutes to carve the words "bitter, ironic posting by someone who has seen politicians use extra capacity on new platforms as an excuse to bin spending on vital Service capabilities" on to a big stone and shove it up your arse you utter throbber.

How does that sound sweetie pie?
What vital service capabilities?

What vital service capabilities?

Where to begin?

Apparently cool tanks with 120mm guns meant 3 to a Troop was a good idea.

It's not just the military; nursing assistants meant fewer nurses.

CPSOs meant fewer plod.

There were equivalents in HMRC and in my old gang the HSE.

Teaching assistants. My sister does 80% of a teacher job for 55% of the money (changes every time she talks about it but presumably not far off).

Mattb

LE
I (very) vaguely recall that way back in the concept stage it was expected to be sharing a battlefield with Mi-24's and the idea was that it be armed to defeat that
A reasonable guess was that the concept was as you stated, it stalled somewhat as that seemed less and less likely, and has now come back around again with the proliferation of UAVs. However, that would be eminently sensible and so not particularly likely from MoD procurement.

Where to begin?

Apparently cool tanks with 120mm guns meant 3 to a Troop was a good idea.

It's not just the military; nursing assistants meant fewer nurses.

CPSOs meant fewer plod.

There were equivalents in HMRC and in my old gang the HSE.

Teaching assistants. My sister does 80% of a teacher job for 55% of the money (changes every time she talks about it but presumably not far off).
Wrong

Elucidate please; but I'm about to go out of my rather sweet Spanish holiday villa for a festival thingy so forgive any delay in response if you will.
I bet your Chinese is better than your English.

Suhcch. Brimstone is ubiquitous but don't tell the RAF

A reasonable guess was that the concept was as you stated, it stalled somewhat as that seemed less and less likely, and has now come back around again with the proliferation of UAVs. However, that would be eminently sensible and so not particularly likely from MoD procurement.
If I remember rightly the Mi-24 was pretty much invulnerable to anything less than 20mm (might even have been 25mm) and even the cockpit glass could take hits from .50
Seem to recall in the 1980's it was considered a very serious threat indeed

Latest Threads