AP- photo of Mortally Wounded Marine Shows Reality of War

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Sep 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This story is picking up steam in US--raises issues about accuracy of reporting balanced against respect for families of KIAs

[​IMG]
    In this photo taken Friday Aug. 14, 2009, U.S. Marine Lance Cpl. Joshua Bernard of Golf Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marines, patrols on point through the bazaar in the village of Dahaneh in the Helmand Province of Afghanistan. Less than an hour later Bernard's squad was ambushed by Taliban fighters waiting in a pomegranate grove. Bernard was hit with a rocket propelled grenade and later died of his wounds. (AP Photo/Julie Jacobson)
    12:36 a.m. ET, 9/4/09

[​IMG]

In this photo taken Friday, Aug. 14, Lance Cpl. Joshua Bernard is tended to by fellow U.S. Marines after being hit by a rocket propelled grenade during a firefight against the Taliban in the village of Dahaneh in the Helmand province of Afghanistan. Bernard was transported by helicopter to Camp Leatherneck where he later died of his wounds.

http://www.tampabay.com/incoming/article1033549.ece

2. AP were bang out of order by firstly showing the NOK the image and then publishing against their wishes. They have merely added to their anguish.

They bring shame on themselves.

Sympathy to the family.

3. Well that hit home quite hard. Not sure how I feel about it being published against his fathers wishes though. It was certainly sensitive, right and proper to wait until after his funeral, perhaps they could have waited a bit longer. OTOH, it is a story that should be told.

R.I.P. Marine Lance Cpl. Joshua Bernard.

4. It is yet another of the conundrums the UK and US face in all this.

5. The family's wishes should have outweighed any "concerns" the AP had about "accuracy in reporting" I should have thought. We already know that war is bad and people get killed. AP has only added to the grief this family is feeling. Bastards.

My condolences go to the family of L/Cpl Bernard.

6. I don't know about anyone else, and before I continue RIP and condolences, but Im sure I wouldn't want my picture published like that if the worst had happened to me. Nor would my Father either.

Respect the dead.

I'd much prefer my family and friends, and indeed everyone else, to see a happy smiling picture to remember me by.

7. The NOK's wishes should be paramount. Simple. It is not a conundrum, they have already sacrificed a loved one, are they to be made to suffer further grief?

The Press need to remember who bought them their freedoms with their blood.

Respecting our war dead is not censorship.

8. The NOK's wishes are paramount and I dare say that someone will eventually get a massive pay out for this one.

9. Point made-I didn't intend to suggest other than to point out the debate.

10. I was criticising the fact that there IS a debate, not your post old boy.

Some things are just non negotiable, the dignity of our war dead being one of them.

11. We are in agreement!

12. Here, here, AP should have respected the wishes of the family. I think there is no other POV on this.

13. Clark Hoyt's piece from The New York Times on the publishing of similar in the NY Times in February 2007...

But before war photographs pass into history, they are news and records of events that are still raw for everyone involved — soldiers, families and journalists. The experiences of The Times in recent years with searing pictures of injury and, in one case, imminent death, suggest how emotional, complicated and unpredictable the issues can be.

In January 2007, Robert Nickelsberg, an independent photographer working for The Times, and Damien Cave, a Times correspondent, were embedded with an Army company helping an Iraqi unit search for weapons in a dangerous Baghdad neighborhood. Suddenly, there were shouts that a man was down: the sergeant whom Nickelsberg and Cave had been chatting with minutes before had been shot in the head. Nickelsberg said he and Cave helped evacuate Hector Leija of Raymondville, Tex., and Nickelsberg followed the stretcher downstairs to an armored vehicle, taking pictures the whole time. Leija died that morning.

The Times waited four days, until Leija’s family had been notified of his death, and then published a photograph of him on the stretcher, with another soldier’s hand covering the wound. The newspaper also posted a moving five-minute video, narrated by Cave, documenting the grief and frustration of Leija’s fellow soldiers and their determination not to leave until, at great peril, they had recovered all his equipment.

Michele McNally, the assistant managing editor in charge of photography, said The Times was trying to both tell the story and be sensitive. But friends said Leija’s family was upset by the coverage, and the Army reacted with outrage, although Nickelsberg said that no one in Leija’s squad tried to prevent him from taking the pictures and soldiers later thanked him and Cave for sticking with them through a tough day. After the photo and video were published, Cave said, the military told him and Nickelsberg that they — and The Times — would be banned from embedding with the military. After lengthy discussions, the ban was lifted.

14. Not only is it disgraceful to disrespect the wishes of the family, it is equally disrespectful of what probably would have been the wishes of the soldier.

Whilst my injuries were not caused in war and [thankfully] proved not to be fatal I would have been utterly devasted had a picture of me with my leg blown off and my other leg in tatters appeared in the press. In fact one of the most stressful parts of the day was arriving at a hospital a couple of hours later to find press photographers blocking off the entrance in an attempt to get the money shot of the injured Brit. I was fortunate in that I had friends there who quickly [and violently] 'removed' them.

Shameful to publish such a photo, a picture of a smiling, proud young man would have been far more emotive rather than an image aimed at ghouls.

15. Deleted-double tap