AOSB/Sponsorship.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by shannenmarie, Dec 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey. I am interested in becoming a Medical Officer in the Army, and was wondering about the recruitment steps.
    I know to qualify as an Officer, you have to pass the Army Officer Selection Board, but I was wondering, do you have to pass that before, or after attending College and University?
    I need to know, as if it is before, I need to start training, as my fitness is no where near good enough.
    Thanks, Shannen.
    :)

2. Please don't quote me on this as I am not 100% certain, but I believe that you can only aim to become sponsored once you have started the application process for Sandhurst (generally after Briefing when they can get a better idea of your chances of making it through main board). On this basis I would assume that you can try get sponsorship once you have the required 180 UCAS points but not before?

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you more information, or alternatively you could pick up the phone and ask someone who genuinely knows the answer.

3. If you want sponsorship, applications for Medical Cadetships are last year at school or first year at Uni. AOSB first and then a cadetship selection board.

If all you are interested in is joining up, then you can take the AOSB at any time, although a pass only lasts for a specific time (I think it is/was five years but is being reduced to three?)

4. Thanks guys:) I have an briefing for my interview tomorrow, so I'll probably find out then.

5. Down to 5 from 7 years, as far as I know. I could be wrong though.

6. Well before my time, and out of my knowledge base - hence my qualification.