AOSB question

Evening lads and lasses,

Quick question from me.

I hope to go to briefing very soon (just got an application in) and wanted to start prepping. For those who've gone, what are the sorts of things you should be talking about in the icebreaker. After researching, I haven't been able to find a template of what sorta stuff you should be talking about (i.e. name, age, degree, family, what corps you wish to join, skills and qualities that'll make you a good officer or more random shit like favourite movie, favourite holiday etc). Few mates of mine from home who are squaddies gave me an insight into their icebreaker at ADSC but was more the latter.

If you also have any other advice on MAP, essay, lecturettes, group discussion would love to hear.

Cheers in advance.

Wee Hawken

Old-Salt
Not directly relevant to your question but the Planning Exercise is quite a big deal and an investment in a book called AOSB Planning Exercises (available through Amazon etc) may well not be a bad thing. Best of luck.

Tingtang22

Clanker
Good luck, I have had my application in since August and still yet to receive a briefing date!
I applied back in Feb 2020 and did briefing a couple of weeks ago, so it's not a quick process!
Evening lads and lasses,

Quick question from me.

I hope to go to briefing very soon (just got an application in) and wanted to start prepping. For those who've gone, what are the sorts of things you should be talking about in the icebreaker. After researching, I haven't been able to find a template of what sorta stuff you should be talking about (i.e. name, age, degree, family, what corps you wish to join, skills and qualities that'll make you a good officer or more random shit like favourite movie, favourite holiday etc). Few mates of mine from home who are squaddies gave me an insight into their icebreaker at ADSC but was more the latter.

If you also have any other advice on MAP, essay, lecturettes, group discussion would love to hear.

Cheers in advance.
Good luck though, plenty of info on this site if you use the search function. You won't do the lecturette, essay or Plan ex in briefing either, so I'd wait til after briefing to practice these. They give you the details at briefing :)

Evening lads and lasses,

Quick question from me.

Cheers in advance.
The expectation is that you will give a mini-life story. The art is using that as a vehicle to subtly show everyone what a great Officer you would be without coming across as a try-hard or an arrogant cock.

Bad life story elements - That time in Ibiza you got crabs. How you hate people junior to you. That time you stabbed someone in the back.

Good life story elements - Things that are memorable, unusual or interesting in a good way. Mix these in with the basics such as name, age, where you are from, what you did at Uni, your key hobbies/interests.

If you know what you are going to say before you do it, you won't stutter or run out of things to say. Record yourself rehearsing it a couple of times too and listen back to it. How do you sound? Try and get the balance right between interesting and memorable and arrogant cóck.

In fairness, I didn't worry about the icebreaker, I just kind of knew what my life story was. Whatever you are comfortable with, I suppose...