AOSB Psychometric tests

Hi there, my date for main board is fast approaching and I have been revising for my tests however I wanted to make sure I was revising the right thing. to anyone that has recently completes main board what were the most frequent topics that came up that I should revise? Also any other tips would be appreciated
Thanks

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Hi,

Try not to overthink or worry too much about the psychometric assessment. One of the most common bits of advice you have probably heard is to practice these tests beforehand and there really isn’t much more to it. These tests are intended to assess intellectual capacity and are not to assess academic attainment.

Have a google and start practising online psychometric tests against the clock as this will undoubtedly help condition your mind to that style of questioning. Top tip is to immediately rule out the obviously two wrong answers and give yourself a 50/50. This will get you used to saving time.

Best of luck

Hi,

Try not to overthink or worry too much about the psychometric assessment. One of the most common bits of advice you have probably heard is to practice these tests beforehand and there really isn’t much more to it. These tests are intended to assess intellectual capacity and are not to assess academic attainment.

Have a google and start practising online psychometric tests against the clock as this will undoubtedly help condition your mind to that style of questioning. Top tip is to immediately rule out the obviously two wrong answers and give yourself a 50/50. This will get you used to saving time.

Best of luck
Hi thank you for your reply, My CSM said my entrance tests were average but to pass main board I would need to do more which sort of put the fear in me. I'm not brilliant at maths is there anything in particular/ any links to practice questions that I can do/ revise?

Hi thank you for your reply, My CSM said my entrance tests were average but to pass main board I would need to do more which sort of put the fear in me. I'm not brilliant at maths is there anything in particular/ any links to practice questions that I can do/ revise?
maths - assume you mean arithmetic

Learn times tables, percentages, fractions, estimations and play Countdown numbers

What you want is to be able to look at two numbers and conclude eg "X x Y approx Z" "X and Y approx 75% difference" without consciously calculating

Very useful when looking at "Was £X.yz, Now £0.xy" in supermarket

Crossface

Old-Salt
My main advice for the psychometric tests is to make sure you finish them - if you're not sure of an answer then pick an answer and move on to the next question.

Practicing your mental maths/times tables will help answer the numerical questions quickly and build your confidence, as well as being useful for Planex

There's books available on Amazon to prep for psychometric tests, you already know the format from Briefing :)

My main advice for the psychometric tests is to make sure you finish them - if you're not sure of an answer then pick an answer and move on to the next question.

Practicing your mental maths/times tables will help answer the numerical questions quickly and build your confidence, as well as being useful for Planex

There's books available on Amazon to prep for psychometric tests, you already know the format from Briefing :)
Thank you for the advice, unfortunately as it's the scholarship I'm applying for and with the lockdown we never had a briefing which is while I'm a little anxious

Crossface

Old-Salt
Thank you for the advice, unfortunately as it's the scholarship I'm applying for and with the lockdown we never had a briefing which is while I'm a little anxious
Got you, there used to be sample questions on the Army website, looks like they got lost in the redesign though. Check out:
For some sample questions, and a bit of background on the types of skills to brush up on.
Best of luck!

Latest Threads