AOSB Obstacle Course

Burmese

Crow
As someone who acts as a Board member I guarantee you 100% that it’s not the same course.
You may be getting confused with the final obstacle race, which is done as a team, but the individual obstacle courses are separated for gender and one of the obstacles can be achieved using an easier technique for females.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original answer so, I'm going to give Greenfly the benefit of the doubt, in that while yes we are correct in that the male and female courses have obstacles of different heights, they are fundamentally of the same obstacles. I think what Greenfly is getting at, is that, as you know (and I apologise for teaching granny to suck eggs), the IOC is comprised of the wall, rope swing, hurdles, long jump, the tunnel, rope climb and the steps regardless of gender.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original answer so, I'm going to give Greenfly the benefit of the doubt, in that while yes we are correct in that the male and female courses have obstacles of different heights, they are fundamentally of the same obstacles. I think what Greenfly is getting at, is that, as you know (and I apologise for teaching granny to suck eggs), the IOC is comprised of the wall, rope swing, hurdles, long jump, the tunnel, rope climb and the steps regardless of gender.
Indeed, though as I pointed out the rope climb isn’t quite the same for females because of green pole placement.

Just remember to dive through the window - got me a Rowallan pass over 40 years ago and didn't do me any harm.

Oh, wait....

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Just remember to dive through the window - got me a Rowallan pass over 40 years ago and didn't do me any harm.

Oh, wait....
Being a cr@p gymnast I broke the window frame.

My coaching tip for the assault course would be bags of aggression, fearsome noise and smash stuff. Nothing says 'will to win' quite like fragments of red and green timber flying hither and yon.

If the DS don't have to frantically bodge the apparatus together before the next contestant, it's probably a fail.

Niamac

GCM

Oh, wait....
Having received a minor head injury in one of the group exercises, I was taken to the window by the DS before my run. He stated that because of my injury I would not be allowed to do it. He asked how I would have done it. "Dive through and forward roll" I lied. Passed.

Very smart, you got to wear your lightweight, we had the grey whipcord knee-breeches with long red socks, so no Wallies amongst us just t**ts to a man.
That's me on the far left - and I still have the patrol bergan! We had the breeches too - I don't remember why lightweights were de rigeur for ELTO on Brecon Brenda. Definitely had the red 'Socks AT' as well, a kind of version of the arctic sock of beloved memory...

That's me on the far left - and I still have the patrol bergan! We had the breeches too - I don't remember why lightweights were de rigeur for ELTO on Brecon Brenda. Definitely had the red 'Socks AT' as well, a kind of version of the arctic sock of beloved memory...
Breeches and red socks on Brecon Brenda for RoCo 15. No patrol Bergans allowed after 2 people were medically discharged with trapped shoulder nerves after Plain Jane. And those full-shank boots...

Breeches and red socks on Brecon Brenda for RoCo 15. No patrol Bergans allowed after 2 people were medically discharged with trapped shoulder nerves after Plain Jane. And those full-shank boots...
Interesting - I was on RoCo 8! The vagaries of transitory DS and 'surviving':

IMG_0335.jpg

The bergan had to contain one's blazer and slacks too....

Thankfully that requirement had gone. Wouldn’t have been possible with all those yellow ammunition boxes I invariably had to carry anyway :)
It would have been - believe me!

The_Duke

LE
Thank you all for the fascinating tales. Honestly.

Now perhaps you could head over to Old and Bold for a nice mug of cocoa and leave this thread for recruit questions and answers.

Oh f@ck, my mistake also and ditto RoCo pass. Have just ordered a RoCo tshirt to celebrate!
My RCB didn’t go well at first but was redeemed by absolutely nailing the individual assault course and then leading my syndicate to a runaway victory in the assault course race on the last morning. I think that saved me from a Fail.

Latest Threads