AOSB Numerical Reasoning Test

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Number_10, Apr 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Would anyone be able to confirm that the AOSB numerical reasoning tests are primarily of the data interpretation type e.g. they require the candidate to make a calculation or analyse data presented in tables, graphs or pie charts?

The reason I ask is that the two example numerical tests on the AOSB website are of this type.

Does anyone with fresh experience remember the format? If not, what other types of numerical questions come up?

Many thanks!
  2. I did it in Feb, most of the questions were graph format and you had to interpret information and then do things like percetages, fractions, ratios etc. The questions get progressively harder and you're against the clock so if you don't complete them in the set time it just stops and moves you on to the abstract reasoning section.
  3. Piece of advice: if you get stuck on one then don't **** about as the questions are only worth a mark each I think. There's a question in there I've seen at main board and briefing and I'm certain it's impossible, the last one on the set about a bloke's monthly budget. I goofed at it for ages, whereas I should've just plunged onto the next one. Oh, and if you're running short on time then answer them all! Guess if you have to, but the marking is not negative so an incorrect answer only scores zero. But otherwise, yes, all the questions have some kind of bar chart or table. Read the instructions carefully as well, there are a few that can trip you up if you rush. Good luck!
  4. Thanks for the replies.

So given that the AOSB numerical assessment allows approx 25. seconds per question, I'm guessing that there won't be long multiplication / long division type questions? Is it fair to say that most of the questions should be manageable with mental arithmetic and some may additionally need a bit of working out on scrap paper?
  5. Hi Mate

Did my briefing end of March, provided the numerical MAP part was similar/same as Main Board:

Spent much less than 25 seconds per question, yet still ran out of time! crazy isn't it? Come to think of it 25 seconds is an incredibly long time when you're all geared up and ready to answer the questions. As someone said before, they start piss-easy and end up requiring some working out on the side or ignoring/guessing, pointless wasting time on a question when you could get 2 more answers right in the same time.

I mainly had to use scrap paper for the large additions with stupid numbers, working out percentage increases etc, often the first few questions of a new "set" are doable in a few seconds.

Good luck!
  6. They didn't give us scrap paper on my Briefing, so I took my practice test (which you do just before) and used the back of that for working out. Some questions you will do really quickly, and as they get harder, so the working out takes longer. Don't dwell on a question too long if it really baffles you, i'd guess and move to the next one.

Scroll to the bottom of this link and try the level 2 practice tests, the questions are similar in style/difficulty

OCR > Qualifications > By type > Basic Skills (Skills for Life) > Adult Literacy and Numeracy > Adult Numeracy: Level 1 and 2 Certificates > All documents

Hope this helps
  7. That sounds about right: the sets may increase in difficulty but they also increase in difficulty from question one to four in each individual set. A risky tactic would be to only do the first two questions in each set! This is probably best kept to the very end to guarantee some extra correct answers. The test really isn't hard at all for anyone reasonably well educated, it just needs practice. Medical schools use the same bullshit to weed people out, and they can definitely be revised for, it's not some stupid intelligence test to judge innate ability like an IQ.
  8. That's as I thought - the questions are do-able, you just are pressed for time. I think they also throw in a mental arithmetic question on one of the interviews, like mentally adding three x two digit numbers.

Katflap - thanks, those sample tests look like excellent preparation.

I'm more daunted by the abstract reasoning tests as I really find them challenging and according to the AOSB website you have to complete 70 questions in 12 minutes!! Roughly 10 seconds per question! It seems almost impossible to make a sensible assessment of a complex set of data in that time - I take it the questions are similar in nature, otherwise it would almost take 10 seconds to read each question. I imagine you just have to go with your instinct and make a snap decision for each?
  9. Pretty much. They're all the same i.e. which set of shapes does this shape belong to. Once you've worked out the general formula, i.e. set one has black shapes with four corners, set two has white shapes with five corners you can then apply the rule to all four and that will only take seconds. There's a book called "How to pass the UKCAT" which I used for that test, but the abstract problems are the same as AOSB. Either buy it or get a copy from a torrent site.
  10. Number 10

The abstract reasoning ones are actually quite straight forward and there is no reading involved so 10 seconds a question might not seem like a lot, but it's more than enough. I found if I spent too long staring at the shapes and questioning them I doubted my choices more. You're best off going with your gut instinct.

If you google psychometric tests you can do tons of practices online.
  11. Is it better to do a lot, or to do a few but get them all right?
  12. I would say the more the better, you'll have an initial instinct for most of the questions and you're best to just go with it.
  13. I realize that this threat is 2009, but if anyone still reads this... I didn't really understand the answer to "Is it better to do a lot, or to do a few but get them all right?" question... I understand that obviously getting them right is a priority.. but lets say you have 1 minute to go and 10 questions to go... is it better to:

A) randomly click on answers and get as many as possible hoping that you get SOME of those 10 right.
    B) do 3 - 4 questions but think about it and make sure you get those right?

So is it a ratio? answers you got right over total answered? or is it simply number of correct answers?
  14. - - There are loadsa free tests here Numerical Reasoning Tests - Practice FREE Aptitude Tests Online | Practice Aptitude Tests | FREE Online Aptitude Tests I'm still practicing them