AOSB - Mental Artihmentic

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Thawk, Sep 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys, I got my first interview with my recruiter out of the way and hope to get on some fam visits in before the end of the year and before Easter. I hope to get my Briefing in during next years Easter break.

I had a search through the other AOSB/Briefing topics around here but I couldn't find any solid websites that just focus on building up mental arithmetic, or even any links to books. See the fitness part is fine, because that's easy enough to work on and keep up but I didn't realise how bad I was with mental maths up until I had a look at the videos of the briefings and those planning exercises. I blame the calculators really. So I was wondering if you guys know of any good websites, or books that you can just work on to build the whole mental part up?

Oh and on a side not, I'm Irish, Republic that is, so hoping for Royal Irish though I have Royal Artillery down as my second choice, hoping to get a forward observer job if for some reason I couldn't get infantry.
    Speaking of which, obviously everyone get the piss taken out of them of a laugh, but, generally, what would the general feeling towards an Irish lad be? Or does no one really care anymore?

Cheers lads
  2. To practice Psychometric tests in general I used Andrea Shavick, 'Passing Psychometric Tests' its short and sweet, but was a fairly accurate account of what you will have to do, and also a good indicator of what your real performance will be like. For mathematics in general I would go grab yourself a general GCSE maths revision book, and remind yourself how to do all that stuff you learned years ago and long forgot. Keep in mind though, you retake the MAP test at board, so once you have done your briefing you will know exactly what you need to work on and will have the opportunity to show you have improved.

Funny this should come up I was just reading 'An Ordinary Soldier' By Doug Beattie, in which he describes a lot of serious hatred towards the Irish in basic training, but that was a long time ago, and even he seems to say it is a long gone phase, at the briefing I attended there was an absolute mix of people, like I have said in other threads, people were far more interested if you could run a 10.2 on the bleep test and if you could lash two planks together than where you are from or what accent you have, as long as people can understand it. BUT if you came to briefing with a chip on your shoulder proclaiming death to protestants or whatever, it might not go over very well.

By the way, no names on this forum it is in the rules somewhere.
  3. Thanks, I'll have a look at that book. And yea, good point I really need to brush up on all those little rules, they just get erased once you hit calculators. I keep worrying about the whole metal part of it, probably a bit too much.

I figured it would be something like that to be honest and no, I'm not one of those people, or idiots rather.

Thanks for the help!
  4. Much of the mental artithmentic is based around time and distance calculations. If you can make X speed on foot and Y speed on the bicycle with your destination Z Kms away is it worth expending this amount of time to fix the bikes chain? Practicing a few approximations might not hurt either. BBC - KS3 Bitesize: Maths - Approximation - Making estimates

Personally I had and have a major problem as my tables have always been weak. My father thinks i suffer from dyscalculia but I feel its as likely that I was just a contrary little fecker that didnt try hard enough. Dyscalculia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  5. Thawk

Of mental arithmetic. It's a generational thing. Yours is just as bright or dense as any previous; the difference is that the teaching system is there to contain but not educate you. You haven't had the times tables, and other arithmetic simplicities, beaten into you. The answer, just like learning to drop a goal or play an on drive, is Practice, Practice, Practice. And for a change, Practice. And when you want a rest, Practice.

This RAF aircrew site is another useful tool, not that you'll need numbers this big, unless AAC is a possible option for you. Speed Distance Time | OASC: RAF Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre

Best of luck

Old Rat