AOSB Math advice?

Hi all

New to this forum so not entirely sure if this has been asked before but does not look like it. Wondering if anyone can give me a bit of an insight into the maths exam at AOSB, what type questions, are there any good revision sources, do you use a calculator for some?. I say this because I failed GCSE maths twice, and only put my application in after finally passing it a few weeks ago.
Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

New to this forum so not entirely sure if this has been asked before but does not look like it. Wondering if anyone can give me a bit of an insight into the maths exam at ASOB, what type questions, are there any good revision sources, do you use a calculator for some?. I say this because I failed GCSE maths twice, and only put my application in after finally passing it a few weeks ago.
Cheers.
I wasn't great at Maths, but passed RCB (the old version of AOSB) in 2005.

Practice speed/distance/time calculations - at first on paper, then in your head - at every opportunity when you have 30 seconds spare.

I did pick up a book called 'Speed Mathematics' but cannot remember how much I used it.

If you search on here, there's plenty of advice.

EDIT: Plenty of websites like this as well to practice S/D/T calculations:

Last edited:

Tingtang22

Clanker
Hi all

New to this forum so not entirely sure if this has been asked before but does not look like it. Wondering if anyone can give me a bit of an insight into the maths exam at ASOB, what type questions, are there any good revision sources, do you use a calculator for some?. I say this because I failed GCSE maths twice, and only put my application in after finally passing it a few weeks ago.
Cheers.

Hello,

There are a couple of good Numerical Reasoning books on Amazon that I've found really useful!
If you've just passed your GCSE then it'll be fresh in your mind, so I'd just keep practicing and remembering how to do all the different calculations and you'll be fine!
There is no calculator and no questions where you'll need them if you can multiply and divide big numbers :)

Hello,

There are a couple of good Numerical Reasoning books on Amazon that I've found really useful!
If you've just passed your GCSE then it'll be fresh in your mind, so I'd just keep practicing and remembering how to do all the different calculations and you'll be fine!
There is no calculator and no questions where you'll need them if you can multiply and divide big numbers :)
Ok cheers, I will work on mental arithmetic then, I have come across a few sites that seem helpful, appreciate the advice a lot.

So I sat my AOSB roughly a year ago now and the maths wasn't particularly challenging. There is a large focus on speed distance time calculations but with them being a multiple choice there are quite often rogue answers that wouldn't be correct. On the contrary, there are some that only differ by a decimal point or the scale in which they are measured.

There are the generic fraction questions alongside general maths knowledge but nothing that you should be too worried about. I used a book called Ultimate Psychometric Tests by Mike Bryon. That book covers the majority of tests that you will undergo at AOSB.

Hope that helps

So I sat my AOSB roughly a year ago now and the maths wasn't particularly challenging. There is a large focus on speed distance time calculations but with them being a multiple choice there are quite often rogue answers that wouldn't be correct. On the contrary, there are some that only differ by a decimal point or the scale in which they are measured.

There are the generic fraction questions alongside general maths knowledge but nothing that you should be too worried about. I used a book called Ultimate Psychometric Tests by Mike Bryon. That book covers the majority of tests that you will undergo at AOSB.

Hope that helps
Thank you, much appreciated, I was looking at several ASOB related books and I will definitely have look at Mike Byron. Some of these guides do seem somewhat like a scam lol. How was sandhurst?

Thank you, much appreciated, I was looking at several ASOB related books and I will definitely have look at Mike Byron. Some of these guides do seem somewhat like a scam lol. How was sandhurst?
I found It covered a lot of the kinds of tests you will do at AOSB and gets you in the mindset of thinking. Im still currently at Sandhurst and given covid its a slightly strange experience but enjoyable nonetheless.

Hope that helps
I will get my hands on it ASAP then, and just one final question, how many 18 year olds/non graduates were in your intake? wondering how many make the cut, I am aware that non graduates are a minority, but not sure by how much. Thanks for the responses its much appreciated.

Latest Threads