• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

AOSB Main Board - questions

Hi all

Just passed briefing with a Cat 1 - awesome feeling!

Booked main board for October and had a question my CSM was unable to answer.

Is the obstacle course any different?
I.e are there additional obstacles?
The video brief played to us during Briefing seemed to suggest so but my CSM was pretty adamant it was the standard 5 (hurdles, long jump, staggered steps, wall climb and rope swing). Could anyone confirm please?

Was also hoping someone may able to shed some light on the current affairs essay. If anyone has any recent examples (2018 preferably!) that were given to them, it'd be helpful to see how the questions were structured and how many options we can choose from.

Thanks all! Hoping for Sandhurst January 2019 as spaces still remain!

Obstacle course - Different with more obstacles, the official videos on YouTube basically show you what they are. Inverted cage and rope to platform stand out in my memory.

5 options on the essay last I saw. It's a test that you know the subject matter (usually in the previous 3-7 days news or continual topics like Brexit/Trident etc...) but also that you can follow instructions eg, use no more than a page and a half, and that you can structure your written communication (beginning, middle, end)

Just be aware that January is the final commissioning intake of the year so the only spaces in Regiments at RSB are those not already taken, in contrast May Intake commissions first so 100% of places in every Regiment are up for grabs! Not a huge issue if you are looking at a large cap badge like the Corps, but if you want to go for a competitive Regiment with few places eg Cavalry or 1 Bn Inf Regiments consider going May to maximise your chances.

Also for the obstacle course at main board it’s different to briefing in that you complete as many obstacles in a given time, 2mins I think. Obviously the more you complete the better, most did at least 2 rounds. For the essay I wouldn’t worry about revising topics, they were very broad and some were not current affairs. I would recommend practise writing an essay, I didn’t and got picked up for bad hand writing. I’m on the Jan 19 intake and want to join an infantry regiment but I’m just chancing my luck, hoping there will be a space.

Also for the obstacle course at main board it’s different to briefing in that you complete as many obstacles in a given time, 2mins I think. Obviously the more you complete the better, most did at least 2 rounds. For the essay I wouldn’t worry about revising topics, they were very broad and some were not current affairs. I would recommend practise writing an essay, I didn’t and got picked up for bad hand writing. I’m on the Jan 19 intake and want to join an infantry regiment but I’m just chancing my luck, hoping there will be a space.

Obstacle course - Different with more obstacles, the official videos on YouTube basically show you what they are. Inverted cage and rope to platform stand out in my memory.

5 options on the essay last I saw. It's a test that you know the subject matter (usually in the previous 3-7 days news or continual topics like Brexit/Trident etc...) but also that you can follow instructions eg, use no more than a page and a half, and that you can structure your written communication (beginning, middle, end)

Just be aware that January is the final commissioning intake of the year so the only spaces in Regiments at RSB are those not already taken, in contrast May Intake commissions first so 100% of places in every Regiment are up for grabs! Not a huge issue if you are looking at a large cap badge like the Corps, but if you want to go for a competitive Regiment with few places eg Cavalry or 1 Bn Inf Regiments consider going May to maximise your chances.
So aim to start Sandhurst in May to maximise the chance at all regiments/corps?

Yep, gives you the best shot.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Thank you for your help. If all goes smoothly, what is the anticipated wait between sending an application and starting at RMAS, on average? I may be able to already tick the capita medical box as I have passed one within the last 12 months.

It varies massively. Have you done AOSB Briefing yet? If not assume 12 months or longer I imagine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Did MB very recently.

Others have covered the obstacle course well.

Essay will give you 5 options to pick from and they'll either be on current affairs or on major social issues. For example, one of my questions was about renewable energy.

Thanks everyone. Main Board coming up very soon. Biggest concern is the rope climb/platform on obstacles but...Will just tackle it with aggression and determination.

Thanks everyone. Main Board coming up very soon. Biggest concern is the rope climb/platform on obstacles but...Will just tackle it with aggression and determination.
Don’t worry too much about the obstacle course, you will be given a brief for each of the obstacles with your group leader, and some time to take a look at all of them before attempting it. Similar to the set up for Briefing.

Apologies, off topic but no need for a new thread. How long does it generally take the Army to get back to you after submitting an officer application?

I assume you're dealing with Capita in which case the answer can be anywhere between 1 day and never. You're better off being proactive and contacting them regularly to see what they're doing and what you need to do.