AOSB Lecture

Hi all,

First of all apologies if this has already been posted, I could not find anything on it and it is a silly question to start a thread on however I would appreciate an answer.

I have recently started the application to become an officer. Could anyone elaborate on the standard of the lectures candidates give at AOSB. I ask as I believe my only shortcoming is public speaking. I am working to better myself.

I have given presentations in work and college and I’d regard myself as pretty average at public speaking. I ace interviews, I’m pretty confident in social situations however I am very average at public speaking.

ShortLock

Swinger
Hi all,

First of all apologies if this has already been posted, I could not find anything on it and it is a silly question to start a thread on however I would appreciate an answer.

I have recently started the application to become an officer. Could anyone elaborate on the standard of the lectures candidates give at AOSB. I ask as I believe my only shortcoming is public speaking. I am working to better myself.

I have given presentations in work and college and I’d regard myself as pretty average at public speaking. I ace interviews, I’m pretty confident in social situations however I am very average at public speaking.
The lecturette is 5 minutes long, including questions from the rest of your syndicate at the end. It's given in front of your syndicate and assessing officer only. You get 15 minutes to plan immediately before. Five topics are chosen from your CV and you pick one to talk about. You'll have a whiteboard, but are expected to keep talking while drawing/writing.

It's pretty easy to guess which topics they'll pull out from your CV, so being prepared isn't hard. The lecturette was the easiest part of the process in my opinion.

Likewise I found this quite... relaxing, being able to talk about a subject you know more than the DS/syndicate about. Out of all your subjects, pick the one you're passionate about and let that shine through. Just remember what they're assessing - the ability to talk confidently, in front of an audience with minimal prep.

It only poses a problem if you've employed a bit of creativity on your CV...

Bolty

Crow
Hi Guys,

What does the actual setting of the lecturette look like? Are we to prepare for practicing speaking to all the attendees that are there, or just to your specific group of 6-8 that you are a part of?

How many assessors are there too?

There are a few factors I want to take onboard which could help with my practice.

Many thanks in advance guys.

Regards,

Hi Guys,

What does the actual setting of the lecturette look like? Are we to prepare for practicing speaking to all the attendees that are there, or just to your specific group of 6-8 that you are a part of?

How many assessors are there too?

There are a few factors I want to take onboard which could help with my practice.

Many thanks in advance guys.

Regards,
Since no one has replied - I'll give my experience (albeit over 15 years ago...)

You will be in front of your syndicate with a whiteboard (which you may or may not choose to use).
Also present will be your syndicate Officers and probably an observer (or two).

Honestly, do not worry about this part of the selection. You'll find the stress will evaporate when you see your subjects (again, unless you've won a Pulitzer for fiction for your CV). If you have passion for your interests then form a coherent framework and just go for it. Prep for it, but I'd say mental arithmetic and quickfire, thinking on your feet, CONPLAN'ing is something you should really be revising.

Bolty

Crow
Since no one has replied - I'll give my experience (albeit over 15 years ago...)

You will be in front of your syndicate with a whiteboard (which you may or may not choose to use).
Also present will be your syndicate Officers and probably an observer (or two).

Honestly, do not worry about this part of the selection. You'll find the stress will evaporate when you see your subjects (again, unless you've won a Pulitzer for fiction for your CV). If you have passion for your interests then form a coherent framework and just go for it. Prep for it, but I'd say mental arithmetic and quickfire, thinking on your feet, CONPLAN'ing is something you should really be revising.
Thanks very much for the reply.

Really appreciated.

Latest Threads